Excellent find Ruth, thanks for posting it.  This is exactly what Sam Harris
has been saying:

"You can accept the subjective reality [of transcendent experiences], without
going the extra step and accepting that it was real outside of the internal
theater of the mind," said Beyerstein.

Since most people who did a lot of program DID have "transcendent" experiences
the questions remains: "What does it mean." And I would add: "Is the
explanation given by a pre-scientific society devoted to keeping people
restricted into a rigid social structure really the best we can do today?"