On Mar 2, 2010, at 10:59 AM, curtisdeltablues wrote:

Excellent find Ruth, thanks for posting it. This is exactly what Sam Harris has been saying:

"You can accept the subjective reality [of transcendent experiences], without going the extra step and accepting that it was real outside of the internal theater of the mind," said Beyerstein.

Since most people who did a lot of program DID have "transcendent" experiences the questions remains: "What does it mean." And I would add: "Is the explanation given by a pre-scientific society devoted to keeping people restricted into a rigid social structure really the best we can do today?"

Also keep in mind, as reported here before by Turq, myself, and others, one can have the experience of "transcending the transcendent" they experienced with TM! What does THAT mean? Perhaps just that there are deeper or different levels of "transcendence" and a coached transcendent may not be as important as we were lead to believe. Or it just could be the brain "doing something different". TMers believe havin' wonderfabululous alpha coherence is what it's all about, but neuroscientists disagree.

Siddhi cultivation for it's own sake has long been known in India to be a way for disreputable gurus to gain control over students.