Wow, what a reply.  Thanks for that.  I may, or may not have a few
comments as I go through again.  On second thought, I think I'll go with
my initial reaction.  My nature is to agree with most everything you
say.  Cooperation, appreciation goes a long way in cementing relations
between countries.  Sure seems a lot easier to do this when you have
more in common as we did/do with Europe after WW2.  I am not a student
of history, but it seems that Muslims, for the most part, have their own
set of values that differ pretty much from the rest of the world.  And
of course, the miliary seems to be coming around to your way of
thinking, but forging relationships with the people, instead pretty much
ignoring them.  But it is a slow process to be sure.  I guess I'll stop
there. But thanks for the thoughtful response.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000"
steve.sundur@ wrote:

> > In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_reply@> wrote:
> > In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "lurkernomore20002000"
steve.sundur@

> > whose objective is to kill Americans here, there, anywhere.
> > >

> > > Well, to start, by acknowledging the huge debt of the US, and the
> > people of Eastern Europe, an the world have for the 12 year struggle
> > where Afghani Islamic Jihadist Freedom Fighters broke the back and
bank
> > of the Soviet Union and were arguably the key factor in ending the
Cold
> > War.
>
> > I guess this ending the cold war is kind of like the 1965 Ford
> > Mustang. As lee Iocca said, and I paraphrase, "You've got so many
> > people taking credit for being the father of this thing, I'd hate to
be
> > the mother"
>
> As in anything, there are many factors. What was the decisive factor?
If not for Afghanastan as their vietnam would the soviets have gone
bankrupt? Perhaps -- certainly not as soon. And certainly not if they
took the Saudi oil fields 200 miles away from the Afghani border. And
was it coincidence that only 6-8 months after an illiterate group of
Afganhi jihadists many who had never seen a flush toilet, and whos
primary transportation were mules, beat down the Soviet superpower --
that Poland kicked out the Soviets, Eastern Europe fell and the Berlin
wall was razed? I would think that was hugely inspirational to freedom,
fighters world-wide.

> >>By stopping raw Soviet imperialism in Afganistan they
> > stopped a highly probable capture of most middle eastern oil fields
and
> > a firm military hold all the way to the Indian Ocean. We would have
> > very different world today if that occurred.
>
> > Sounds a little assumptive
> > to me. Kind of like the domino theory sort of thing. Is that what
you
> > are saying?
>
> No not dominoes. A domino theory, which I don't buy, implies the
Soviet puppet gov't in Afghanastan had nothing to do with a massive
invasion by the Soviet army and their sophisticated weapons systems.

> What do you think the Soviets would have done if they owned
Afgahanastan with the Saudi oil fields 200 miles away?

> > > However, instead of thanks, the US said "good-by and fuck you"
>
> >what
> > should we have done, stuck around? Colonized it?
>
> Perhaps for those steeped deep in American values, that may have been
their first thought. My first thought is usually against imperialists.

> > I thought the whole
> > idea was to say goodbye.
>
> After they defeated the long-standing imperialists at the core of the
cold war, which the US spent trillions on trying to thwart and defeat
for 45 years, a rather huge favor to the US and world -- the US left
them with s devastated country and economy -- and several billion
dollars of sophisticated arms and training. Did you think that would
have a happy ending?

> > -- and then wonders why they don't love the
> > US. So first, a little perspective and deserved huge respect would
go a
> > long way in dealing with the true Afghanhi heroes, many whom when
fucked
> > over did evolve into anti-americanism.
>
> >True appreciation of these
> > Afghani heroes would be a good first step kind of like a cake
cutting
> > ceromony, and ringing the bell of invincibility for Afganistan?
>
> Is that what you have have done for the Afghani's who defeated the
Soviets and brought down their empire -- a feat the west could not do in
45 years and trillions of dollars of trying?

> I would have had grander plans. If the US spent billions on the
Marshal Plan so that a bunch of warring imperialist thug powers could
pick up the pieces after having clobbered each other and taken the world
to the brink, then I would think at least that if not far more should
have been the world's appreciation for an underdeveloped country, who
sacrificed all that they had to defeat the Soviets -- the dominant
imperialist power of the second half of the 20th century. We left them
with a devastated country and left $20 on the nightstand.

> >That much of the globe thinks americans are assholes with no clue is
not such a mystery. They may have a point.

> >and go a
> > long way in ending hostilities with many islamic jihadists Their
primary
> > fight is with long standing American global bombastic and abusive
> > policies and American arrogance and exceptionalism.
>
> > please site some
> > examples of what we did to antagonize the Afgan people
>
> More examples?
>

> > > British, Spanish, Soviet, French, German, Japanese and American
> > imperialism have screwed so many millions of people over for
centuries
> > (in some cases). Is it a wonder some react to violence with
violence?

> > okay, so that is the crux of your argument. This is payback? Karmic
> > payback?
>
> Karma is a big oggie boogie word -- which many don't recognize or
understand. Revenge, retribution, righting of perceived insults and
slights are more understandable I think.

> > I will be honest. This makes about as much sense as anything
> > else I've heard.
>
> > But does just plain hatred, and even jealousy play
> > any role.
>
> Afghani's as well as many in the Islamic world are proud people. And
serious about revenge when insulted, or worse, screwed over. That is not
inherent hatred of the west. American's active in the Soviet Afgani' war
were repeated hailed and treated as national heroes. It was the
beginning and could have been a great love affair -- well at least great
friendship between America, the West and Afghanistan.

> In addition, I had friends who traveled extensively in Afghanastan in
the 70's -- not much anti-americanism then they said -- on personal
level.

> > Does the fact that their holy book prescribes killing any non
> > believers play a role?
>
> Do the many atrocities prescribed in the Christian and Hebrew bibles
make all westerners and Israelis bloodthirsty?

> > Are you saying that we deserve this" That
> > England deserves subway bombings, that France and Copenhagen deserve
> > having citizens murdered who poke fun at other people's religious
> > beliefs?
>
> After the pot starts boiling its sort of hard to sort out exact one to
one correspondence of tit for tat. I am saying the US and world could
have not only kept the pot from boiling into a mess in Afghanistan, they
could have treated the Afghani jihadists as war heroes of the highest
degree, expressed a huge wave of gratitude in terms of building schools
and infrastructure. And if they did, the US and western Europe would be
respected in many parts of the Islamic world today instead of hated. The
roots of the hatred goes back centuries. A strong antidote composed of
true respect and friendship was lost when the Soviets were defeated and
we just mostly ignored the amazing warriors who did it.