--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltabl...@...>

> > We just don't know what it is we're trying to measure
> > or how to go about it.
>

> If Chopra and the Maharishis of the world would admit this I would have no
> problem with them.  Their claim is that they DO know.  In some cases they are
> claiming a special state of mind of "knowingness" where all of life's secrets
> are obvious. (Except the secret for cancer which for some reason they can't
> come up with or even more reprehensibly have decided NOT to reveal.  How
> about just kid's cancer, huh?)
>
> > "There are known knowns. These are things we know that
> > we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there
> > are things that we now know we don't know. But there are
> > also unknown unknowns. These are things we do not know
> > we don't know."--Donald Rumsfeld
>

> Interesting choice from whom to quote but I have to admit he did nail
> something interesting. The context of when he said it is revealing.
>
> His statement is irrefutable and in some senses profound.

> In the context of our involvement in Afghanistan it has quite of bit of
> validity.

Polite but firm challenge.

The short of it, big problems don't just manifest out of thin air. They are the
results of decades of doing stupid things.

If the world community had come to the aid of "heros" (now our enemies -- this
type of casting people in extremes to fit the current occasion or propoganda
campaign is an elements of the "stupid path".) and helped rebuild the nexus
where a strong, longterm disruptive, exploitive  aggressive force was finally
stopped and put to rest (may sounds a little right-wingy, but these are not
talking points handed to me to read -- and  progressives have usually been
against  raw aggression -- its how you resist it that counts and perhaps
distinguishes various groups. And  large banks are as disruptive, exploitive
and aggressive as the soviets -- they just dress better) -- then the Afghan hot
spot would not be bubbling over now. And it goes much further back in time than
that - the roots of disruption and poor  collective action of the world
community.

Bottom line if the united world community (not a facade of the coalition of the
duppped and arm twisted) spends 50 years building schools, and a strong
education infrastructure in impoverished and raped over lands, you won't find
wastelands like Afghanastan  emerging as world trouble spots. It will not
happen. Badness typically stems from mass ignorance ("have you been to the US
lately!!?" as Bill Maher would ask emphaticly) ).

And aggression/violence always results in more aggression and violence. I pray
(to nature or course) that this is a Known Known. Or will soon be.