> > > My personal opinion is that Jyotish is, as a form
> > > of prognostication, in exactly the same ballpark
> > > as reading tea leaves. That is, the prognostications
> > > themselves tend to be vague and non-verifiable,
> > > catering to the perceived desires of the paying
> > > clients, and as a result of those desires, self-
> > > fulfilling.
> >
> > Thats a nice opinion. However, what back ground do you have in
> > Jyotish? How many years of study and practice?
>
> As a practitioner? None. As someone who has
> had Jyotish charts done for him, and listened
> to the Jyotishi's predictions?
> Some, enough
> to stand on my description of such predictions
> above. I have so far encountered none more
> insightful or accurate than the predictions
> a good "cold reader" such as Curtis talks about
> could make, for anyone, without having any kind
> of "charts" in front of them.
>
> YMMV. Then again, if it does, I might suggest
> (as a possibility, not a declaration of what
> is happening) that there might be some possibility
> of either "self-fulfilling prophecy" (believe it
> will happen strongly enough, and you make it
> happen) or "rose-coloured glasses" (having been
> told that the future will look like X, tending
> to interpret even Y's as X's) going on.

I appreciate the issues your raise. If anything I am possible more skeptical
than most -- and I certainly have seen massive amounts of charlatan activity in
the name of jyotish. And I never had any interest in western astrology --
considered it bunk (Generally still do) . But after an initial lecture I heard
on jyotish, and an intriguing  yet ultimately disappointing set of readings, I
took upon my self to learn some of it, read / studied hard/ half a dozen good
books -- did a lot of jyotish computer work, etc. With this, I perhaps am far
more aware of its weaknesses than many. However, I  came across enough uncanny
stuff in my chart -- and a few others that I remain intrigued / while
skeptical. While we all have biases and flaws in reasoning, perception,
analysis etc, I am aware of many of them -- and do endeavor to really challenge
my assupmtions and hypotheses. And I am fully open to the possibility that I
may be connecting dots that are meningless -- and deluded by irrational proofs
etc. But I have some background in analysis and statistics, I am aware of what
constitutes a degree of confidence in ones assertions and the implications that
data may and often does not reveal. So I am highly skeptical, and its an
informed skepticism -- more so that many that wax on about the emptiness of
jyotish.  however, I am intrigued by some results.

> As you suggest, what is needed are scientific
> tests, made against non-vague, falsifiable
> predictions. Unfortunately, many Jyotishi (and
> certainly the ones on this forum) don't seem
> to want to *produce* any of these non-vague,
> falsifiable predictions for testing.

I fully agree, many people in jyotish I have encountered, including well known
authors / jyotishees, have no clue as to what constitutes a
testable hypothesis and the means to verify it. Its one reason I generally stay
clear of things jyotish. I am not in any way a TB jyotishee.

> > Or are you just shooting the breeze about some casual observation
> > you may have had years ago?
>
> That, too.  :-)

Don't we all.

> > Nothing wrong with shooting the breeze.
>
> As if you have the ability to define "wrong."  :-)
>
> I'm just having fun with this, dude. I happen
> to *generally* believe that Jyotish is a placebo
> or a "cold reading" phenomenon.

It could be. I don't spend much time on it -- so thats an indication of how
valuable I assess that it is for me.

> But as I said,
> I'm willing to be proven wrong. It seems to be
> the Jyotishi who are unwilling to stop using
> vague, non-specific, apply-to-anyone cold reader
> language in their "predictions" and give some
> scientist (or even us) some real predictions
> to work with.

Agreed.

And I started my rant -- for fun -- because I at times see people attacking
strawmen of jyotish -- not actual jytotish. So its fun to explore their
irrationality when they are claiming jyotish is irrational. But I am warped
that way. And of course there are plenty of things to critique in real jyotish
also. But usually the discussion never gets there.

And i appreciate your good will in discussing this. And I am not challenging
you -- just raising some observations and sharing some of my own experience.
(And if I am out to lunch on this, it will hardly be the first time) :)