> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:

> Well, of course future predictions are trickier.

Sorry, I'll try and respond to your post when I've stopped
laughing.

 But again,
> your question was about how the kind of analysis quoted was
> useful to astrologers. Do you understand how principles that
> are demonstrated in the connections between a particular
> chart and what has happened to the person can give the
> astrologer a better grasp of how it's all said to work, such
> that the astrologer can then use those principles to make his/
> her own predictions in other cases?

I used to draw up horoscopes, as I say it's all in the wishy-
washy nature of the predictions and the vague personality profiles
that could apply to anyone, and in fact have been demonstrated
to do so. I could find the releveant study but you'd just say
it isn't "vedic" jyotish that was being studied as if the two
things are different in some way. It's wishful thinking we
see what we want to see and interpret so it makes sense to us.

Imagine you had the horoscope for everyone who died in the WTC
attack in 2001, what would their charts say for that day? They
all ought to look pretty grim with not much going on after
midday but that is unlikely to be the case isn't it, but why?
What possible use is astrology if it can't help you stay out
of trouble on a day like that? I've never known anyone have
*anything* useful told them by a jyotishee, beats me why people
keep chucking money their way, it must be satisfying to think
that you are connected to the cosmos in some way and that your
life has a meaning beyond the mundane. It's the only explanation
I can come up with, it isn't like there is any evidence pointing
towards a planetary influence, you have to have the belief
*before* you look for evidence and hope that something fits.

The TMers I know who believe this stuff amaze me with their willingness to
believe and refusal to consider critically what
they've been told. One example: A mother diviney type I knew was
told she'd travel up the amazon and write a book about science,
which she was very excited about. I pointed out that she hated
travelling and didn't know the first thing about science and she
just said "Gosh it's going to be fascinating finding out how I
do all this stuff." Not even an extreme example I'm afraid.

> (Nostradamus is probably not a good example, for a lot of
> reasons.)

Actually he's an excellent example of how people see what they
want to see when looking at random patterns that contain just
enough profound sounding pointers to seem like there is a signal there. Nothing
of his *ever* led to a prediction before an event.

As you say the future is trickier.