--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "PaliGap" <compost...@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo"
> <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
>
> > Amongst all the staggering coincidences and apparently
> > rare requirements that common organic molecules have to
> > go through in order to become complex life forms I forgot to
> > mention that the trigger (for their always is one in leaps
> > of evolution) for life to go from the happy bacterial state
> > it was in for 3 billion years into it's post-cambrian
> > cornucopia is the fact that the Earth was frozen solid for
> > millions of years thus the only survivors were the bacteria
> > that mutated into the cell that make up *all* living things
> > today.
> >
> > This isn't creationism, it's hard empirical science and is
> > easily checkable.
>
> I don't get this Hugo.
>
> Are you saying that "snowball earth" was a pre-requisite for
> our planet's rich life-status?

It might very well have been yes. On one side of the freeze
you have just bacteria no the other you have everything we know
today.

And that this is hard science?
> I did a quick-and-dirty wiki check and got the impression Life
> arose *despite* the conjectured snowball Earth, not
> *because* of it.

Can't believe everything you read on the internet I'm afraid.

I'm talking about the change from simple single-celled stuff
before a major cataclysm to a stronger type of cell (that ALL
life now shares) the improvements in cell structure may well
have been forced on us by environmental pressure. Bit too
much of a coincidence otherwise.

> The fact that one event precedes another event does not in
> itself make it a "trigger" does it?  Or have I misunderstood
> you?

Probably. In this case you'd have to prove that the freeze
*wasn't* the trigger and come up with some other explanation
for the arrival of complex life when, for 3 billion years,
before a sudden massive change in climate there wasn't any.