--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tartbrain <no_re...@...> wrote:

> wrote:
> >

> > And you are mindreading again.
>

> See what great results and powers TM brings!
> >

> >It turns out you are making the same move many Christian moderates make
> >which is actually more interesting to me.  I understand Sam Harris's
> >concerns much better concerning people who take make a show of being
> >rational while holding a class of beliefs safe from scrutiny.  Especially
> >when it is this sub-class of beliefs that is actually driving much of a
> >person's behavior as they do in your case.
>
> That's quite a useful point, IMO. However, devils advocate (I am on retainer)
> -- must every area of our life be held to rigorous scrutiny?

No.

<  You like blues and indian griddle cakes (no derision, I just can't recall
the name). Does one need to scutinize that more than "I really like them"? >

This is a different class of personal preferences than the beliefs Judy and I
were discussing.

> Very little of our life is subject to rigorous scientific studies, etc. Or
> even systematic rational analysis.

I agree with the first but not the second.  There is nothing irrational about
me like a certain form of music.  If I claim it would cure your cancer if you
listen to it, then it enters the realm of WTF?

< If one analyzed everything, one would be in analysis paralysis. >

False alternative.  The slippery slope fallacy.  I'm not advocating that.

<Sometimes ya just gotta lay back and enjoy.>

Sure and some time you have to sit up straight and enjoy.  There are a  lot of
possible positions.

 <The other day I wrote about non-proximeous darshan. Will that hold up under
harsh rational and scientific scrutiny? Probably not -- without expending huge
effort. >

I think it might be a project enough to define what you mean by those terms.

> Can I just enjoy the effect without knowing or caring if its actual contact
> and response -- or all inner ritam darshan. I don't care much, either way.
> Its enjoyable, humbling, and perspective giving -- regardless of the
> underlying mechanics.

I'm not sure what you are claiming here.

< Me, I don't care much how  car runs. Could be black magic or greek gods
pushing it -- for all I care. It works.>

My car has been F'ing up lately so I'm in the world of caring to avoid high
repair bills. Enjoy your bliss while you can.

< Good enough for me in 97% of my life. I rationally focus on the other 3%.>

I don't know if my proportion is the same or different honestly.  Whatever I
have going is working for me, glad to hear you reporting the same!