--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> > > Awareness of and identification with our infinite nature
> > > does not require that the infinite carry a deity label.
> >
> > Or that that infinite be considered sentient.
>
> Yeah, that too. Having grown up in an atheist/agnostic household,
> that's my cultural conditioning, and I'm more comfortable relating
> to that "is-ness" in atheistic terms.

Conceptually, I am too, but it doesn't bother
me to use deity labels in discussion, because
it's all metaphorical anyway; the words can't
encompass, let alone limit, the reality.  Nor
can the concepts, for that matter.

"Sentience" is just another concept with a word
attached to it; different people, moreover, have
different concepts to which they attach the
"sentience" label.  For some it implies *a being*,
for others it's the nature of Being, the abstract
quality of Intelligence rather than *a being* who
is intelligent.

But beyond that, if Brahman is One without a
second, you can't say Brahman is or is not
sentient (or is or is not anything else either),
because then you'd have "a second," Brahman *plus*
whatever Brahman is not.