--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@> wrote:
If the drop becomes the ocean, the drop is no more as a drop, it is
completely recycled and uniformly distributed in the ocean, if we take
the analogy a bit further. The specific individuality of the drop is
gone. Try and reassemble it again.
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shanti2218411" <kc21d@> wrote:
IMHO, their never is a"drop"separate from the ocean(SELF). The "drop"
never has an actual existence. It is only the result of the eternal
SELF's creation of apparent boundaries/forms i.e.individual beings. The
SELF who is writing all the posts on this forum is the same SELF that
exists after the apparent beings who wrote these posts are no longer
manifest. All that happens with enlightenment is that the SELF stops
identifying ITSELF with boundaries and has re-cognized ITSELF as
unbounded/infinite. It seems very unlikely that this recognition would
mean that the SELF would stop the creative process of manifestation
which I suspect is also eternal. IOW we are much much more that the skin
encapsulated ego we take are SELF to be.
In Zen they say" if you die before you die then you don't die when you
die""shanti2218411" <kc21d@...> then wrote in a further post:I guess
what I want to say is that from my point of view in enlightenment the
question of what happens to the body(subtle/gross) becomes irrelevant
b/c the SELF no longer experiences itself as being bounded i.e having a
body. OTOH, after enlightenment, the SELF continues to have an
experience of apparent boundaries (the physical body and the world etc)
while no longer identifying with them or experiencing them as
fundamentally real. I think Maharishi's statement" when your mind
becomes THE MIND then your body is EVERY BODY" may be related to the
question of what happens to the subtle bodies after physical death in
enlightenment. My guess is that SELF is never devoid of the experience
of boundaries since(IMO) the ultimate nature of REALITY is both pure
unbounded awareness and the apparent objects of that awareness.
I also think that this is a very deep question to which I doubt there is
an answer which will be intellectually satisfying.

This is because language is insufficient to describe non-verbal
experience. The intellect cannot get a handle on it. Analogies such as
the drop of water in the ocean give the mind something to hang onto, but
because analogies have limitations and eventually break down, they do
not take us all the way. We know that water flows, and can break into
small pieces. So creating an analogy of a small piece of water
disappearing into a much larger piece of water (an ocean) creates a
picture in the mind, a thought. This analogy can become more complex
with understandings from science. Water consists of molecules (H2O), and
if a small conglomeration of this substance is placed in a much larger
conglomeration of this substance, the molecules eventually disperse more
or less evenly throughout the larger conglomeration (entropy). Because
of quantum indeterminacy the past history of original configuration can
never be reconstructed. The drop of water as a drop is forever dead.

But this is just a picture in the mind, not what one can experience. If
you have the experience, you do not need the picture unless you desire
to convey the nature of the experience to someone else.

Another way of describing it is as you said, the self, as opposed to
Self, is a fiction, never having been. A phantom idea of what one
thought one is, passes away with enlightenment. But this is really
dualist language too. We have 'self' versus 'Self;'  MMY would say
something like point value versus unboundedness. The dichotomy of 'self'
versus 'Self' is also a fiction because it manufactures a sense of at
least two 'things' in the mind. If the 'self' is a fiction, then its
opposite value must be a fiction since one cannot have opposition to
something that has no existence. If the point value was a mistaken idea,
then unboundedness experienced as an idea in relation to the point is
also thus suspect. The actual experience requires neither of these
ideas; they are blown away.

So as you said, 'I also think that this is a very deep question to which
I doubt there is an answer which will be intellectually satisfying.'

But here too, we have dualistic language. We have a 'deep' question. In
the various traditions we have 'there is nothing new under the sun,' and
'it is before you always, and you do not see it,' and 'if you would only
get rid of your opinions, it would be revealed,' so we might say that
the answer to this 'deep' question is really 'shallow,' it is right
there under our noses all the time, and we blunder about trying to
discover it by mounting a gigantic quest.

You quoted from Zen saying 'if you die before you die then you don't die
when you die.' This quote interestingly also has its analogue in the
Christian Bible, where Paul says 'When you clothe the mortal with the
immortal, then death, where is thy sting?'

We do not live to experience death (Ludwig Wittgenstein). This statement
is from a logician, and it flows directly from the definition of the
words' meaning. In addition he said:
If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but
timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the
present. Our life has no end in just the way in which our visual field
has no limits.Not only is there no guarantee of the temporal immortality
of the human soul, that is to say of its eternal survival after death;
but, in any case, this assumption completely fails to accomplish the
purpose for which it has always been intended. Is a riddle solved by the
fact that I survive forever?...The solution of the riddle of life in
space and time lies *outside* space and time....When the answer cannot
be put into words, neither can the question be put into words.
The riddle does not exist.

Your comment that you doubt there will be an intellectually satisfying
answer to this question is right on the mark. You will never find the
answer as long as you are thinking about it, for in thinking about this,
you are essentially running a manufacturing process in the dream of
individuality, which extends the puzzle in the dream by creating new
intellectually unsolvable mysteries. For some, though, thinking about
something intently for a long time until it completely subsumes them
can, if luck in on their side, result in a complete collapse of the
whole edifice mentally built up, and in the ensuing silence, the
solution is revealed, and you have awoken from the dream.