--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <vajradhatu@...> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2011, at 11:27 PM, sparaig wrote:
>
> > These days, scientists call it the "default mode of the brain."
>
> Which scientists are these? Lemme guess, from MUM?

Doesn't seem to be. I couldn't find anything in a search
for "default mode of the brain" and "transcendental
meditation." Couldn't find anything for "default mode of
the brain" and "pure consciousness" either, however.

"Default mode of the brain" is a common enough concept
in neuroscience:

"The default network is a network of brain regions that are
active when the individual is not focused on the outside
world and the brain is at wakeful rest. Also called the
default mode network (DMN), default state network, or task-
negative network (TNN), it is characterized by coherent
neuronal oscillations at a rate lower than 0.1 Hz (one
every ten seconds). During goal-oriented activity, the DMN
is deactivated and another network, the task-positive
network (TPN) is activated. It is thought that the default
network corresponds to task-independent introspection, or
self-referential thought, while the TPN corresponds to
action, and that perhaps the TNN and TPN may be "considered
elements of a single default network with anti-correlated
components".[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_network

Good basic article:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-brain-20100830,0,479095.story

Given the neuroscience definition of the brain's default
mode, it would certainly seem that TM's pure consciousness
is the least-active state thereof.