One of the things I find myself noticing in Curtis' descriptions of
David Eagleman's findings and opinions is that Eagleman seems to make
the same assumption that religious people make. That is, that there is
something called Reality.

For him, as a scientist (not having read this book), Reality might be
defined as that which can be observed repeatedly by objective viewers or
using instruments invented by them (and thus sharing their human
assumptions about what can be perceived and measured and what cannot).
This objective Reality trumps any subjective notion of reality.

Meanwhile, the religionists or spiritual folks might argue that their
subjective experience of reality, especially if they're enlightened,
trumps any objective view of reality. Some of these folks believe that
the real world doesn't even exist, and all that does IS a subjective
presence. They call *that* Reality. Or God. Or Self. Whatever.

Me, I'm noticing that both sets of people seem to be thinking
hierarchically, as if reality were a pyramid of realities, at the top of
which was one big one called Reality, which supercedes any of the lower
realities.

I'm not sure I buy this. I'm still enough of a Castaneda fan to be able
to swing behind the idea of separate realities. They're all real. And
because I don't view the world hierarchically, I don't assume that any
of these separate realities are "higher" than others or "trump" them.
For me the separate realities coexist relationally, not hierarchically.
None of them is Reality.

Does any of this strike a resonance with anyone else here, or did the
delivery guy put funny mushrooms on my pizza again? You never can tell
here in the Netherlands.