--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues" <curtisdeltablues@...>

> > One of the things I find myself noticing in Curtis'
> > descriptions of David Eagleman's findings and opinions
> > is that Eagleman seems to make the same assumption
> > that religious people make. That is, that there is
> > something called Reality.
>
> I don't think that doing science requires more assumption
> than needed to fix breakfast and sit down at the computer.
> Both religious assumptions and the kind of high level
> philosophical skepticism about the nature or reality are
> on another level and don't intersect.

It's not high-level philosophical skepticism but a
truism to note that, even assuming there is a reality,
we can never know it directly; it's always only
through subjective perception. And that includes
science. When we do science, we're comparing
subjective perceptions. If they agree, we say that
what we've mutually perceived is "objective" reality--
but we don't and cannot know that there's anything
"out there" that actually corresponds to it.