--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Here I have to disagree with Judy, feste37, because once I caught the quality
> of experience that made you say what you said here, I found myself in
> agreement—at least so far as this: your perception/judgment goes deeper than
> Judy's perception/judgment—even though of course I can entirely understand
> the 'truth' of what she say—it certainly is real for her. But what you say
> here, just touches upon something I think almost everyone will miss. I felt
> the same way about your comments about the segregation of women and men in
> the TMO. I don't say I don't understand the extreme views of Mike D, I only
> say that you have an honest and true experience, and it obviously gets at a
> truth that I think Judy (and more obviously Mike D) miss. For Judy to be
> objectively correct would mean your experience was false, imagined, purely
> subjectively. This certainly it is not. It is subtle and real. Thank you for
> speaking up, feste37.

I really don't get your definitions of "objective" and
"subjective," Robin. Seems to me both feste and I are
reporting our subjective reactions.

I mean, if we could somehow force the Benneton people
to tell us honestly whether they did or did not intend
to be offensive, we might get at one genuinely objective
truth about the campaign. (And even then, if they denied
they were trying to offend, we couldn't be positive they
were being honest.)

But other than that, it's all purely subjective, as far
as I can see. Objective correctness just doesn't enter
into it.