--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@> wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, maskedzebra <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Here I have to disagree with Judy, feste37, because once I caught the quality
of experience that made you say what you said here, I found myself in
agreement—at least so far as this: your perception/judgment goes deeper than
Judy's perception/judgment—even though of course I can entirely understand the
'truth' of what she say—it certainly is real for her. But what you say here,
just touches upon something I think almost everyone will miss. I felt the same
way about your comments about the segregation of women and men in the TMO. I
don't say I don't understand the extreme views of Mike D, I only say that you
have an honest and true experience, and it obviously gets at a truth that I
think Judy (and more obviously Mike D) miss. For Judy to be objectively correct
would mean your experience was false, imagined, purely subjectively. This
certainly it is not. It is subtle and real. Thank you for speaking up, feste37.

Judy: I really don't get your definitions of "objective" and
"subjective," Robin. Seems to me both feste and I are
reporting our subjective reactions.

I mean, if we could somehow force the Benneton people
to tell us honestly whether they did or did not intend
to be offensive, we might get at one genuinely objective
truth about the campaign. (And even then, if they denied
they were trying to offend, we couldn't be positive they
were being honest.)

But other than that, it's all purely subjective, as far
as I can see. Objective correctness just doesn't enter
into it.

Robin: Well, Judy, is *this* determination you have made that my categories of
objective and subjective "doesn't enter into it" an objective one?

Objective and subjective get differentiated against the background of reality.
Reality being the way things really are. Now if you will permit me to bring in
the metaphor of God, objective versus subjective would mean that where God
favours one point of view over another, that point of view would have the value
of being more objective than the other point of view which did not meet with
God's favour (remember, we are/I am using God as a metaphor for some omniscient
vantage point from which to see reality—since this vantage point created that
reality).

If someone's point of view about the Benneton ads can only be subjective, then
what is the point of arguing one way or the other? Are you not, in the very act
of arguing for the validity of your own take on these ads, implying that your
point of view is more 'objective' than feste37's point of view? After all, if
one can marshall a whole series of arguments in support of one's 'subjective'
point of view, does that not add something more objective to that subjective
point of view, and therefore makes it more subjectively objective (if I can use
that term)?

I think that we all come at everything from our own subjective point of view,
granted. However the degree to which we feel the realness, the oughtness, the
rightness of that point of view surely has something to do with our sense of
what kind of purchase it is making on reality. Reality being what really is the
case.

Feste37 did not express her point of view with the absolute notion it was
merely subjective. If she did this, she would have already realized there
really is no issue here, since it is just one person's subjectivity versus
another person's subjectivity.

Now you chose to explain how your own point of view seemed more reasonable,
more in line with the facts, more what the Benneton people were up to, than was
feste37s point of view. Is this not in some sense then putting the issue into a
context where fact and truth mean something? These are hardly concerns that are
subjective.

Whether in the final analysis your point of view and  feste37's point of view
amount to what is purely subjective, the very need you felt to buttress your
case, to argue on behalf of its validity, must mean that you deemed your point
of view to be, at the very least, more subjectively objective than feste37's
point of view was subjectively objective.

If it is all a matter of pure subjectivity, and we can never establish any
standard of objective truth in discussing a matter like this, then why was
anything said for or against these different points of view?

I sense that the very decisiveness, authoritativeness, and certainty of what
you have just told me borders on the subjective, and therefore I am going to
say this: Your peremptory assessment that there is nothing that can be said in
defence of my notion of degrees of objectivity within a subjective point of
view, is itself unbeknownst to you, a subjective point of view.

But I do not wish you become your enemy, Judy!

And if one can decide something is just subjective, that in itself participates
in some certainty that this very assertion is objective. This being so, in what
sense does your judgment of the inapplicability of my thesis become something
other than objective? And moreover how does this determination originate in a
process that is other than the same process you used to evaluate the
tastefulness of the Benneton ads?

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@> wrote:
> >

> > It's a disgusting picture and the Vatican is right to sue. Benetton has no
message of "unhate" at all; it is just trying to get attention for itself so it
can sell more of its stuff. All the pictures are disgusting, but most people
have been brainwashed by the liberals into thinking that to protest against them
would be homophobic. But it's really a matter of decency and fairness. Doctoring
photos of world leaders in a way that is deliberately designed to be offensive
is not fair use of the photo.