--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, obbajeeba <no_reply@...> wrote:

> Nice songs.
> I am working on the Dead's lyrics. I do not know if I can
> grasp them because the history in my path did not lead me
> to Dead shows and smoking stuffs, yet I do appreciate them.

Nice of you to realize that. :-) There is little on
earth as subjective as being a Deadhead, and as frus-
trating in trying to convey one's appreciation of them
to someone who wasn't there. Appreciating the Grateful
Dead is as much of a "You really had to have been there"
thang as you're likely to find on this rock.

> The second video, may haiku rule with underwater farts
> for ripples presenting to me?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kSUGGIQPJU

"Ripple" is a Dead classic, the product of a short
period during which lyricist Robert Hunter could
seemingly do no wrong. He speaks nostalgically of
the writing jag that led up to "Workingman's Dead"
and "American Beauty." His songs formed the found-
ation of both albums.

It speaks to me not because of anything I was smoking
then, or now, but because it speaks to me, in a kind
of Zen way. The haiku bridge is the pin around which
the rest of the song revolves, one of those moments
of complete mystery, which no amount of words can
either describe or explain. The verses have to do
(IMO, of course) with the songwriter (Hunter)
realizing the inexpressibility of these moments
of mystery, and embracing a willingness to leave
them *as* mystery. Perhaps some songs really are
better left unsung.

It's also a song about humility. "If I knew the
way, I would take you home." But he doesn't. He's
just a seeker, like us. So he contents himself with
writing songs about fingers pointing in the general
direction of mystery, hoping that others look at
what he's pointing towards, rather than focus on
either the words, or the singer.