 I see it as
> almost a purely intellectual technique, similar to
> Kabbalists gazing at and focusing on that study's
> intricate diagrams of *their* fundamentalist theories
> of How Everything Works. Or Westerners doing the same
> gazing/focusing on cards from the tarot.

Kabbalah is what came to my mind too. You really cover almost all of the
points. I wouldn't go quite as far as saying it is only there to make you feel
special /elite, but see it definitely there as a side effect.

I do not believe in the correspondences between vedas and physiology, or cosmic
'correlations' as given by Nader Ram, the actual reason he was made king. But,
Bhairatu might update us here, all the tantras are full at corelations between
the (subtle) body and the cosmos. I think that the examples given by Nader Ram
are simply analogies. For example, an organ has a certain form, maybe looking
like the head of a horse, then there is a reference of horses in the vedas
somewhere horses are mentioned, and viola.

It's a belief-system, as so many others, and most belief systems, if they are
not shared by too many people, tent to make them feel special in one way or the
other.

I for example compare the TM movement to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, where the
last leader died about 40 years ago. I just met an old lady, who works there in
the Ashram since 40 years, is now 75 years old, and to my opinion, has the
typical TB mindset.  She still experienced the master (Mira Alfassa) about 3
years, if so, from a distance (balcony darshans). And I just read a book by
Peter Heehs on Sri Aurobindo, and as I thought it was actually a very positive
review of his life. But it stirred up the whole Ashram, lead to a huge
controversy, the book is actually forbidden in India (the lives of Sri
Aurobindo), while most ashramites have read photocopies. The book is published
by the cambridge universtity press, and directed to academics, not devotees.
Yet it is in no way deferrential, but it happens to mention certain biographic
facts, seen as a no no by the ashramites. Now the funny thing is, that the
ashram leadership, might actually have inspired the book, and is not really
against it. (they don't endorse it either) That in itself is the reason for
controversy, as it seems there is a group of fundamentalists who want to
overtake the Ashram. Right now there are efforts on the way, to deprive Heehs
of his visa, he lives since decades in India, and was one of the main Ashram
archivars, the book was originally approved by the ashram leadership (without
reading it) before it was published.

Also, the philospophy of Aurobindo is elitary, by definition, he says that
nobody before embarked on this type of yoga or knowledge. So, for Ashramites,
anybody practicing a more traditional form of yoga misses out on the new yoga.
(The old yoga has its basis in the 'overmind', with all its gods, which is
something like 'supermind' gone wrong) And the only way is to be devoted to SA
and / or Mirra Alfassa. There is a similar idea like in TM, that 'we are the
ones doing the transformation for the world, unprecedented, for all times to
come' And it's all there in the writings of SA.