On 12/15/2012 05:04 AM, seekliberation wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:
>
>> Try expanding your mind a little more and visualize what the US would be
>> like if folks worked less and lead a simpler life.  First off we already
>> have the advantage of cheap technology which trumps the problems you
>> mention with the middle east.  We have toilet paper.  We have medical
>> knowledge and with technology we can give people a lot more medical care
>> without having to use expensive doctors so much.  We have police, we
>> have fire department we have paramedics.  They even might enjoy a 10
>> hour work week too.  Stretch your imagination more.  We only have 40
>> hour work weeks because the industrial age tycoons wanted wage slaves.
>> And at that it took unions to reduce the hours though hogs wanted and
>> keep them from using children too.  Contrary to popular belief, work is
>> NOT the purpose of life.
>>
>> We need a leaner cleaner world not the clutter materialistic one which
>> only benefits the few rich who scam the populace by selling them
>> needless things.  Celebrate December 22nd the way it was meant to be
>> celebrated with global change.  Throw the rich bums out!
> you're right, work isn't the purpose of life.   However, there are a lot of
> developments we have that we take for granted that will never be sustained in
> 10 hours a week.  For example, we would never become educated with 10 hours
> worth of work per week, nor would our schools even be able to be built or
> teachers get our papers graded, or cafeterias be stocked and food prepped &
> cooked.  Space shuttles wouldn't launch, brain surgeons in the E-room
> wouldn't be available as often as needed, bridges wouldn't get built, cars
> wouldn't get manufactured, air conditioners wouldn't get repaired in a timely
> manner, and the list goes on and on and on.  Now if you pulled the number 10
> out of a hat without any serious thought....no argument then.  I do think
> work weeks could be reduced a little bit.  However, I remember before Steve
> Jobs passed away he was talking about how tirelessly he and his crew worked
> to develop a lot of his products....I guarantee you he was well over 40 hours
> per week in his progress.  Even MMY had a lot of people working overnight
> tirelessly while translating the Bhagavad Gita.  Hard work is not exactly a
> foreign concept even to people who tend towards liberal thinking.
>
> Regarding the technology that you say is now easily available and
> cheap....yeah, it's cheap, but it still has to be manufactured and shipped
> from factory to outlet stores by people.  Truck drivers have to drive about
> 10 hours just in a day for us to get what we expect and demand as consumers.
>
> My opinion about 40 hour work weeks is if that's too much, I don't know what
> anyone else can expect.  I guarantee you every generation previous to the
> industrial revolution spent over 40 hours a week managing their lives.  Only
> [...]

Two hours a day times five equals 10 hours a week.  Actually the figure
I've heard is that there is only enough work for 1/3 of the work force
which would be more like 13.3 hours a week.  That's a figure that
Dimitri Orlov who emigrated from Russia as a kid who writes and lectures
about the fall of the Soviet Union versus the fall of the US.  I think
it is in his video and I want to find his sources which is probably an
"inconvenient" government report.

Of course I worked in the tech industry and companies turned into
monasteries.  The badge of honor was to work long hours.  But HP back in
the early 1990s determined that working any more than 50 hours a week
was counter productive.  I used that rule which was not popular with my
younger reports who wanted to earn their "badge of honor" since they
would be connected with one of our "famous" products.  After I left one
had a stroke and another who was a former TM'er and actually from
Fairfield became an alcoholic.  Even when I worked there we had some
"badge of honor" people had nervous breakdowns.  Hence preventing
overwork was a good idea.

Also understand the people who work on software are "exempts" and not
hourly workers.  Exempt means salaried and you get paid the same whether
you work 4 hours a week or 80.  I had a former Microsoft employee who
was a developer rep for Apple tell me when he worked at Microsoft as a
programmer he would often work around the clock and get his portion of a
project done in two days.  It was okay for him to take the rest of the
week off as long as he was on call.  Some of the heroic efforts of these
companies are a little overblown.  My boss warned me too that someone
who puts in long hours may doing so because they aren't that good.

Google is also a monastery where kids hope to become famous.  I call
their approach the "200 monkey" method of developing software but some
of their shit looks like they only got 199 monkeys of a project.   Now
Ray Kurzweil just joined so they'll really get fucked up.  He will
probably be the oldest hire they have too. :-D

Understand that my vision of the future requires a rescale of the
economy.  That's easier to do if it collapses first.  This is one thing
that MMY may indeed got right in that capitalism is unsustainable which
is something Nabby likes to remind folks here about.  But it wouldn't
take enlightenment to see that.