Feste37,  My main bitch is that the promise was that we'd all get to be
psychologically healthy, wise, deep, good, righteous, just, positive,
supportive etc. etc.  Jerry Seinfeld started off already accomplished -- he
simply cannot be used as an example.

I personally, if anything, after 30 years, was more cranky, more frustrated,
less inclined to patience, mired in blaming, socially ungainly, as narcissistic
as always, and on and on, my list of "things I want to get out of my
personality" NEVER CHANGED.  No lines drawn through any of the items on my
to-do list.

Flat out I tell you I know NO ONE who changed from TM in any way that "life
happening" wouldn't account for.

TM was sold to us on the basis of fulfilling desires in daily life.  That's how
we were taught to "sell TM."

Then, my life crumbled in a perfect storm of THREE major disasters
simultaneously, and it was obvious that TM had not prepared me for the
scenario. Not. In. The. Least.  From then on, I could not deny that I had not
gained anything from TM except maybe I could get to a state of lesser
excitation quicker than non-meditators.

I quit TM within a year of that.

But, it could be argued that TM got me "far enough," such that my fervor for
realization was strengthened enough such that my intellect could profit from my
studies of Advaita.  Like that.  Who knows?

But, me, I took it personally.  I blamed Maharishi and Girish for being frauds
who took a pretty good technique and promised everything -- "step right up and
see the hoochy choochy girls for one dollar you spiritual hicks from the
sticks."

Of all the people I taught TM, less than 10% were still doing it a year later
-- the results, if any, are not obvious to the masses....or to psychometrics.

Emperor's new clothes and all that.

Edg