--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend"  wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, navashok  wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:
> > >
> > > Not content to make up things about people she considers
> > > her enemies, now Judy makes up "facts" about the Inquisition.
> > > That's a very Inquisitor-like thing to do.  :-)
> > >
> > > Even a short period of Googling would reveal how wrong she
> > > is about several things below, like being 354 years off on
> > > the "start date," as reported even by apologist Catholic
> > > organizatins. I'm pointing it out just so that she'll
> > > go crazy trying to prove herself RIGHT, DAMNIT and make a
> > > fool of herself for our amusement.  :-)
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iF47M3YDlg
> > There aint't no doubt about it, she's lying. She makes up
> > little quibbles continuously to be able to call other's
> > liar and that is a lie as well.
>
> The way you know who the liars are is whether, after
> being called on their lies, instead of attempting to
> prove themselves innocent, they accuse the person who
> has exposed them of lying and never try to document
> that either.
>
> For the record, I don't think Barry was lying about
> Ratzinger; he was just ignorant of the facts (as is
> navashok). There's more than enough reason to
> denounce Ratzinger on the basis of what he's actually
> done (and not done), but "He brought back the
> Inquisition" sounds so *dramatic*.
>
> Stupid, too, for Barry to claim the Inquisition of
> which Ratzinger became the head had previously been
> "abolished"--as if the Vatican would ever have sat
> back and allowed heresy against the doctrines of the
> Church to flourish unimpeded within its ranks.

Someday Judy should learn that there are certain
things that you cannot learn by sitting on your
fat ass in New Jersey and Googling. Some things
you can only learn by going to actual Dominican
libraries and reading the original documents there.

Such as the documents sent to individual Dominican
Orders at the time that Pope Paul VI changed the
name of the Holy Office to its current name. Those
documents -- not meant for the general public --
seriously curtailed the powers and the provenance
of the Inquisition, effectively eliminating many
of the outlandish things it had still been able
to do up until that time. This was greeted with
much approval by people both within and outside
of the Church, and was a prime example of Paul
VI's many ecumenical reforms. It was widely
spoken of within the Church that "the dark era
of the Inquisition is finally over."

When Ratzinger was named to the head of the
Inquisition by a later Pope, he had already
served as that Pope's "enforcer," and the Church's
arbiter of doctrinal orthodoxy. Once in place as
head of the Inquisition, he set about reversing
all of the revised policies, and quickly became
the most feared man in Catholicism. He ordered
crackdowns on even slightly heretical or non-
mainstream ideas, instituting widespread use
of private detectives and surveillance of priests'
letters, sermons, and communications to ferret
out gays and other liberal priests. He was notably
insane over acceptance of ideas about abortion,
gays, and in Third World countries, "liberal
theology." He gained within the Church the
nickname of "Grand Inquisitor" and among fellow
Germans, "Der Panzerkardinal."

At the same time, he was a major force in the
coverups of child abuse and other sexual impro-
prieties by priests, and a major force in
bringing back exorcism to the Church. The
Dominican priests who were my sources during
my investigations of the Cathars were *terrified*
of him. They likened him both to Domenico Guzman
himself (founder of the Dominican Order, and
without question a psychopath) and Torquemada.

So while the Vatican may have "saved face" by
preserving the office of the Holy Office, it
*did* seriously curtail its activities, giving
Catholicism its first real breath of fresh air
for seven hundred years. Ratzinger -- now Pope
Benedict -- brought all of the stale air back.