--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long <sharelong60@...>
wrote:

> Hi Steve, nice to talk with you too.  I've been thinking about
what you write here.  Do you know, in the later chapters of the
Gita, Krishna talks about situations that begin well and end badly and
situations that begin badly and end well?  Of course He says it much
more eloquently and thoroughly (-:

I always liked this song in regards to that. (-:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uheHQ23dTw4
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uheHQ23dTw4>

> I think for me it has to do with being what I'll call hyper positive
and having unrealistic expectations.  Then life is bound to boot me
in the tukas so that I cease looking for happiness in the new romance,
new job, new town, new car, new body (many women have unrealistic
expectations with regards to losing weight), etc.Â
I find I get swept up overly optimistic projections about things as
well.  Fortunately.  Fortunately after 57 yrs. (at least on April 19th),
I've learned to temper that.  Not so much as to be an pessimist. (could
never be that), but just more of a realist.  I like the sound of that.
And of course as a parent, I have to temper some of those same
tendencies in my kids.

I mean, one great example of this, which I may have shared, was last
summer the kids agreed to take on an arduous hike in Colo. that they had
shunned before.  I was real excited and had about two months to lose
about ten pounds, cut back on sodas, get on an exerciese regime in order
to get in shape.  At the outset, I said, "no problem, I can do this.
looking forward to it, in fact".  But it didn't happen.  I managed to
complete the hike anyway.  What saved me was drinking a lot of fluids on
the way up.  In the past, I would just keep hiking,  wanting to get to
the destination.  So, I did a little better on the way up.  What killed
me was going down.  I just couldn't move.

> Are you saying that you think Robin's core enlightenment is still
present?

I have no idea.  No idea whether he reached that milestone to begin
with, or had it and lost it or had it and then deconstructed it.  If he
says he had it, that's good enough for me.   Whole affair is pretty much
a mystery for me.

> Vertigo made a 24 hour drive by a few days ago and is gone again.
A friend explained that it did the same when her son had it.

> What did you think of the 9 yr old boy philosopher?Â

I enjoyed it.  He seems like quite a deep thinker, and still very
childlike.  I liked that.

> Share
>

> ________________________________

little more. And your idea that the core of enlightenment was still
there, very intriguing.
> Well, my understanding has always been that enlightenment is
something permanent.  Exception being perhaps the "Strange
Case of RWC"Â  May have to put an asterisk on my understanding of the
big "E"  there.
>  I mean, even just the idea that enlightenment has a core.
Did you read what turq wrote about all this? Â He has written of
hubris and I'm still grappling with that one.
> One feature of my personality, which I would call a flaw is that often
my initial impression of something is often overly positive or
enthusiastic.  Having said that, as I mentioned before, I found
myself very impressed with Fred Lenz's interviews.  I
thought he presented ideas of spiritual growth and enlightnment in
clearer terms than I had ever heard before. Â
> It is a pretty popular thing here to ridicule Fred, and many
of Barry's recollections.  I really have nothing on which to
base much of an opinion about Lenz, other than the little I've read
about him.Â
> On the other hand, there seems to be plenty on instances of the so
called "enlightened", backsliding in some ways.  Maybe the
temptation of riches,  power and sexual opportunties are just too
much to resist.  I likely would have difficulty with all three if I
found myself in such a position.  But I think I still maintain that
"core" enlightenment remains.  It's just that it can get pretty
dirty, and unseemly.
>   I'd be interested in your thoughts on that.  Since I
read what turq wrote and even what Judy wrote today about Robin, I've
been wondering why genuine enlightenment doesn't have a built in
protection against hubris.
> But I'd like to think that I could avoid this pitfall.  Ego, or at
least the negative attributes of ego is something of which I try to stay
keenly aware.  It has caused me so many problems that I'm careful
not to give it any fuel.  The negative attributes of ego, that is.
>   I know my life certainly has that:  maybe a friend gets
upset with me or IRS says I owe them money or I wake up one morning with
vertigo.  Presto, any hubris that was creeping in is gone and I'm
once again clearly part of flawed humanity.ÂÂ