--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson <mjackson74@...>
wrote:

> Experiences like these are part of the reason I no longer believe
"enlightenment" tied up in a neat package the way Marshy described it
even exists -

I think the old rishis in the ancient times were having all these self
created opium dreams (brought on by inhaling too deeply of the forest
floor molds) and made a complex system of ideas all about the
experiences.

Having read some of the Vedic literature such as the Yoga Vashishta, I
really couldn't disagree more.  I mean it's a cute little slight you
make, but I suspect that over time, what once inspired you, (or me)
becomes more distant and more dim.  I don't know what would happen if I
read some of the books now.

But having immersed myself in the Upanishads, the Gita, and various
other tracts in my earlier days, I believe they contain profound truths,
and insights into higher levels of awareness, (enlightenment), as well
as a greater understanding of practical matters regarding breath, bodily
functions, and sexual energy.  Simply the whole science of kundalini,
(if one wants to call it a science) is something completely ignored by
western science.  As is the field of prana.

Maybe these tracts will have nothing to offer in this regard.  I suspect
that will not be the case.

> I have read and heard too many accounts of people like Mark Landau and
Robin who have what sound like truly fabulous experiences for months or
years and then start just being regular people again, same with the
Rama-man. I think that maybe we can all experience a plethora of states
of awareness, alternating in flavor and intensity but who knows what the
bottom line on all of it is?