--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J. Williams" <richard@...> wrote:

> The Yamaha basic amplifier puts out 250 watts per channel in
> stereo with less than .00001% total harmonic distortion. With that
> kind of power I need some really robust speakers, so I moved up
> from Advents to floor-standing JBLs.

What is interesting about this is that not many people can distinguish less
than 1% total harmonic distortion on pure tones, let alone music, and few
speaker systems can get as low a 0.5% total harmonic distortion; most have
higher distortion, with car stereos running as high as 5%. Thus an amplifier
with even 0.1% harmonic distortion typically could not be heard as different
from any amplifier with less distortion through any speaker system, all else
being equal (frequency response, level etc.).