All of the samatha practices that have been studied, start out as simple
relaxation techniques, producing some level of coherent alpha, just as TM does.
However, over time, practitioners start to show more and more gamma EEG -the
signature of paying attention to specific objects of attention- both during and
outside of meditation.

As well, virtually all meditation techniques other than TM, tend to
compartmentalize the brain during practice, as well as suppressing the specific
portions of the brain thought to be responsible for our "sense of self" -this
last is proposed by some researchers, in positive tones no less, as the reason
why long-term meditators (non-TM) become "selfless."

The irony is that all eyes-closed techniques tend to activate the same general
regions of the brain. Scientists call this set of regions the "default mode
network" (DMN)and the current theory is that it is the style of functioning of
the brain, especially specific parts of the brain, that activates during
introspection, while the outward attention suppresses the DMN and activates the
parts of the brain having to do with paying attention to things.

The default way in which the DMN activates whenever you close your eyes
involves increasing alpha EEG and alpha coherence.  This goes right along with
MMY's claim that any and all thoughts have a tendency to settle down towards
silence when let on their own. TM, according to MMY, takes advantage of this
natural tendency and merely enhances what naturally goes on anyway.

On the other hand, other techniques, regardless of how they are described
(effortless, effortless concentration, full-concentration, etc), over the years
start to produce the situation where the normal activity of the DMN involves
increased gamma EEG, which is a very unnatural situation. At the same time,
these techniques have suppressed the self-centers of the brain, leading to a
loss of sense of self, also a very unnatural situation.

So, even if one practices and "masters" jhana techniques, one really isn't
doing anything spiritually good. You can see signs of this in the entire
world-wide Buddhist culture that celebrates people burning themselves alive as
a good thing.

Afterall, since they are without a "self," it's not wrong for them to do
violence to a specific living thing: their own physical body.