sparaig:
> There is a reference to turiya in the mandukya
> upanishad.
>
>From what I've read, you are correct; 'turiya' is
Sanskrit for 'fourth' The Mandukhya Upanishad is
the keystone in the arch of Shankara's Adwaita
Vedanta.

The scripture was made famous by Gaudapadacharya,
the teacher of the teacher of Shankaracharya.
Gaudapada composed a famous Karika or commentary
on Mundakhya and Shankaracharya composed a long
commentary on both.

According to my professor, this famous Upanishad
is traditionally assigned to the Atharva Veda,
which in turn is traditionally in the keeping of
the Jyotirmath, one of the four mathas established
by the Adi Shankaracharya in 812 A.D.

Since the time of the first Shankaracahraya of
Jyotirmath, Trotaka Saraswati, this scripture has
been recited there on a daily basis at the Badrika
Ashram, U.P. Himalayas.

This scripture deals with the sacred syllable, the
Pranava, mentioned in Yoga Sutra. It describes the
three constituent phonemes which are identified
with the three states of consciousness, deep sleep
state, dream state, and the waking state.

The famous Upanishad proposes a fourth state of
consciousness which is termed 'turiya', the fourth,
that is, a transcendental state, beyond the three
states of wakefulness, sleeping, and dreaming.

Excerpt:

"Anyone who knows this is sure to construct this
whole world and to become also its destruction."

Purport:

The fourth, on the other hand, is without
constituent phonemes; beyond the reach of ordinary
transaction; the cessation of the visible world;
auspicious; and unique.

Accordingly, the very self (atman) is Om. Anyone
who knows this enters the self (atman) by himself
(atman)" (288-289).

Work Cited:

'Upanisads'
by Patrick Olivelle (Translator)
Oxford: The U. Press, 1996

Dr. Patrick Olivelle, the translator, is the Chair,
Department of Asian Studies, and Director, Center
for Asian Studies, at the University of Texas at
Austin.

"The clear introduction gives a comprehensive
background of the Vedas. The history of Indian social
structure when the Upanishads were written, their
authorship, chronology, geography, etc. give the
reader a comfortable feel as they go forth with their
reading. The reader is also provided with a table
dividing the Upanishads into the four Vedas."
- review by Jasleen Matharu