 From: "doctordumb...@rocketmail.com" <doctordumb...@rocketmail.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 2, 2013 10:27 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: VI annual YFC!

I remember Waverly, MO, pop. 473, in the late 70's, about 10 miles away from
the emerging (and now defunct) Kansas City Capital of The Age of Enlightenment,
and the closest actual town.

There was a laundromat there, where we stuffed the washers and dryers full of
our farm and construction clothes. A small grocery store across the street was
on its last legs, displaying an old box of Wheaties from the sixties, in a very
dusty window. Some guy in his nineties ran it, and it was always really hot and
musty, and still, in there, and vaguely smelly. He didn't care if you bought
anything, or not. The main street was about two feet below the sidewalk, from
the horse and buggy days.

If you went the other way, left, out of the KCC Project, and took another left
after a hundred yards, and went about another hundred yards down that road,
past cornfields, you'd see an underground missile silo site on your right -
Square, about 30 feet on a side, fenced and topped with razor wire, a level,
gravel-covered lot, with two parallel metal tracks near the center, at ground
level, ending at a large, grey metal hatch. There were signs on the fences,
that deadly force was authorized against trespassers, courtesy USAF.

The KCCP was in the middle of a whole nest of silos. We'd see the missile tubes
being serviced sometimes, on our way to Higginsville, both to get our raw,
organic milk from a dairy farmer there, but also to visit the new Walmart when
it opened. Walmart! Whoo-hoo! Spending our $25 a month stipends like there was
no tomorrow.

All in all, a blast, and thankfully not a real one.