--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:
(snip)

> > > That's a belief. And a strange one. There isn't any reason to
> > > think human consciousness hasn't evolved. Quite the opposite.
> > > Look at the brains of other animals both living and extinct,
> > > you can easily plot on a graph how the brain has evolved over
> > > the millenia and from there see what animals had what skills
> > > and what the difference in structures must mean to our awareness
> > > and thought capability.
> >
> > *Brains* have evolved. But until/unless we crack the "hard
> > problem," we can have no idea what the differences in brain
> > structures might mean with regard to human awareness and
> > thought.
>
> As it's brains that cause consciousness (get someone to hit
> you on the head with a heavy object if you don't believe me)

Brains seem to be necessary for consciousness to function
(although there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to the
contrary), but that doesn't mean they *cause* consciousness.
And in any case, that's a different sense of the term
"consciousness" than I was using, i.e., what the "hard
problem" deals with.

> and brains have evolved, then consciousness must have evolved
> at the same time.

Of course consciousness has evolved. I never said otherwise.
But that doesn't explain the nature of human consciousness;
it doesn't solve the "hard problem," the nature of what
consciousness has evolved *to* in humans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness

It's a very knotty philosophical problem that can't just
be brushed off.

> Do you find it difficult to imagine simpler forms of awareness
> and thinking?

Such as what it's like to be a bat, perhaps?

http://organizations.utep.edu/Portals/1475/nagel_bat.pdf

> Maybe if our brains were simpler we'd understand them. Oh wait...
>
> > (Or rather, we can have plenty of ideas, but they'll
> > remain just that, ideas, guesses.)
> >
> > (snip)

> > > Is zero a number?
> >
> > You know what I mean: what physicists think God would
> > have to be like if there were one. It's no wonder
> > they're so resistant.
>
> Again: why would someone try and invent complexity where it
> isn't needed? Especially ineffable complexity. You aren't
> explaining something if you have to blame your lack of knowledge
> on some higher force.

That's right. But I wasn't trying to explain anything. I'm
suggesting that there may be a higher-order explanation
for what we don't yet (and may never) understand, but I'm
not providing such an explanation. I don't know whether
it would involve ineffable (or effable) complexity or
ineffable simplicity, or whether "simple" and "complex"
are terms that would even apply. Nor do I know whether it
could be called a "force" or even an "entity."

I think physicists (most if not all) are ruling out a straw
man of their own creation (or adoption).