--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@>
> > wrote:
(snip)
> [...]

It's also just a belief that biology is responsible for human
consciousness.

Is your personal conviction that it's all biology a function of
biology?

That seems to me a lot stranger, frankly.

I'm not arguing against evolution, BTW. That's settled, as far
as I'm concerned.

The problem is that it can't account for human consciousness--
e.g., for Judy and salyavin each having a perspective on an
issue, for our arguing about which of those perspectives is
correct (or at least more likely).

Where does one find in the human brain the structures that
account for, e.g., personal perspectives on whether human
consciousness is explained by biology? If you know of any,
*how* do you know?

> > > As it's brains that cause consciousness (get someone to hit
> > > you on the head with a heavy object if you don't believe me)
> >
> > Brains seem to be necessary for consciousness to function
>
> Seem?

Yes, because of what I went on to mention:

> > (although there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to the
> > contrary)
>
> If only the plural of anecdote was data.

Indeed.

> I think what you mean to say is that some people mistake
> altered states of consciousness for something that's
> happening somehow outside of them.

No, that is not what I mean to say. In fact, actual data
are involved (including data from observers), just not the
kind that we have the means to replicate by the standard
scientific methods. (OTOH, there are some creative solutions
to this problem that propose nonstandard methodology that
*should* stand up to skeptical scrutiny. But that's another
story.)

> , but that doesn't mean they *cause* consciousness.
>
> Nonsense.

Oh, a well-formulated scientific argument, salyavin. ;-)

My assertion stands, even without the parenthetical. Brains
and consciousness are very highly *correlated*, but that
doesn't nail causation. Faucets and water are very highly
correlated; does that mean faucets *cause* water? See, I
can make the water appear and disappear just by turning the
faucet handle! That's like bonking you on the head and
making your consciousness disappear, right?

Ever read any David Chalmers?