--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just popped in to take a break and look around. Found this thread.
> Just curious if Akasha and others might address the question of why
> he/they experience such strong emotional energy around this subject
> as to feel compelled to write long defenses of his/their positions
> or critiques of others'. So some people like strip clubs and others
> don't. Big deal. And what's wrong or new about different people
> having different values, beliefs or experiences? Thank goodness
> people have options.

I am happy to address this, though I believe some of your premises are
off target.

I don't experience strong emotional energy around this subject, I
experince strong intellectual energy around it. As I have stated in
past posts, I find posting here can, not always is, a useful way to
unfold paradoxes and unresolved points of view. First by working to
articulate it. In the process one often learns alot more about their
views. And second, to get some feedback. I love it when people say,
"this points doesn't make sense. Or it contradicts these facts". I am
less enthralled when people say "you suck, you asshole, for making
this point."

I don't feel compelled. I can do it or drop it. If anything, there is
a drive of curiosity, where will this logic take me/us.

I do not, in my view, write defenses of my positions. First, I often
do not have firm positions. I may have sup-points that appear valid,
and I will argue for them, and counter weak arguments against them, in
order to "test" the strength of the idea. But I am not defending
anything. I have no firm positions.

And I try not to critique others. I try to point out holes in some
positions when warrented. And appplaud when good points are made, on
either side of the issue. But I try to leave personal attacks out of
it. And that includes imputing motives to others for what they write.

For example, some might mistakenly think that I am arguing for strip
clubs. I am not. Actually, I find they have some negative aspects.
What I am arguing is that exploitation and objectification of women,
upon deeper analysis, and upon my own experience and observations, do
not appear to be realities or valid arguments in condeming clubs.
My message is, no thats not a strong argument against clubs, dig
deeper. As I am myself. I am not quite sure what bothers me about some
of the clubs, but its not the pat and to me trite answers of
objectification and exploitation.

Plus, I don't like to be guilt-triped into taking postitions for which
there is no strong evidence, or worse, which counter my expereince.
But sometimes, I conceede to conventional views and sigh with eveyone
else when a loaded neutron bomb word like "objectification" is thrown
terrorist like into a discussion. It scares everyons silent. No one
wants to be with 300 feet of the accusations of being an objectifier,
a racist, a mysoginist, etc. So they cave to such, igoring reason and
evidence. As I do cave sometimes, its often because I have not really
figured out why the conventional wisdom is wrong. Not so I can argue
it persuasively.

On this issue, I decided not to be embareassed or shamed into silence
by declarations of convetional progressive thinking. I know my
experience in clubs has been counter-inutitive, that has helped
de-objectify women in my mind. And I just refuse to ignore that and
play politically correct.