"Erasehead" is a film about an industrialized post-apocalyptic world.
Therefore it is a political commentary on the possibility of society
moving into such a crushing state.  George Lucas's "THX1138" is also a
film about a post-apocalyptic world.  Neither film would probably sit
well with some people.  "Erasehead" was embraced by the arts community.
Lynch was also inspired by Salvadore Dali's 1929 short "Un Chein Andalou":
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020530/

Sometimes you have to create shocking art to wake up an otherwise
sleeping public.