> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "drpsutphen" <drpsutphen@> wrote:
> >
> > When Lynch is constrained by a more traditional narrative he
> > does fine with only a little weirdness coming through from
> > time-to-time.
>
> Well, that wouldn't apply to "Twin Peaks," which was quite
> consistently weird (albeit not always creepy-weird, and
> nowhere near as weird, from what I've read and heard, as
> much of his other work) and most certainly not a
> "traditional" narrative. But (as noted) I thought he did
> more than fine with it.
>
> > But Judy or Share, have you seen "Eraserhead"? There is no
> > way you can think such a movie comes from a normal mind.
> > This is a very "sick" movie.
>
> You know, Peter, I don't recall having made a blanket
> endorsement of Lynch's work as coming from a "normal"
> mind. That would be kinda silly of me, having seen only
> "Twin Peaks" and, long ago, "Elephant Man." Here I was
> commenting only on "Twin Peaks" in response to Michael's
> denunciation thereof.
>
> I will say, however, generally speaking, I'm not at all
> sure that the most inspired and creative artistic work
> in any medium comes only from "normal" minds. By the same
> token, I don't believe a mind that doesn't qualify as
> "normal" is necessarily "sick." And some arguably "sick"
> minds do indisputably brilliant work (e.g., Van Gogh).
>
> Finally, you'll forgive me if I don't accept credentials
> in psychology as equally valid with regard to critical
> evaluation of artistic work.

But since the good Doctor wasn't providing a critical evaluation
of an artistic work but rather an evaluation of the mind behind the
work, and the fact that the junkyard dog hasn't seen the work in
question, I guess that earns the old mutt another big oopsie.

Isn't it amazing how often toothless old mutts hallucinate?