Share Long:
> ...everything is about vibration but do we understand
> everything about the deepest nature of vibration and
> its functioning?

Apparently the really hard question is the definition
of consciousness, so that makes discussion of altered
states of consciousness even more difficult. So, what
we need is an operational definition of consciousness.

The Blackwell Companion to Consciousness:

Consciousness—The having of perceptions, thoughts,
and feelings; awareness.

> I think not and that I think is at the basis of
> understanding why we perceive colors and smells and
> sounds, etc.

For TMers the most thorough account of the spiritual
approach may be Ken Wilber who compares western and
eastern ways of thinking about the mind and
consciousness.

> Maybe something to do with resonance between stimuli
> and receptor cells.  As yet, the instruments of
> measurement aren't built to measure at these levels,
> which I will add for the sake of the materialists
> among us, is nonetheless a material level.

> Soma?

Mycologists have proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt,
that the Vedic Soma, the Elixir of Immortality, was a
decoction formulated with an alkaloid which in most
cases resulted in spiritual euphoria, even religious
ecstasy. The consumption of Soma was prescribed by the
rishis, for God's sake, Share. It's in the Ayerveda
formulary of the Dhanvantari! LoL!

> As I'm writing this it comes to me that there is
> a level that is probably both material and non
> material like emptybill's Spanda.  Let's build the
> instruments to measure that!

According to Wilber, consciousness is a 'spectrum',
with ordinary awareness is at one end, and more
profound types of awareness are found at higher
levels.

Work cited:

'The Spectrum of Consciousness'
by Ken Wilber