--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@> wrote:
> >
> > I love the way you said "maths", so British, so traditional.
> > How could anyone get mad at you when you say that?
>
> Hey, how could anyone get mad at me *anyway*?

You challenge the belief systems they've invested in.
Rather than challenge them themselves, they get mad.

Some go as far as to describe the grade-school math
of astrology as non-simplistic. Clearly anyone who
believes that (I taught myself how to "cast charts"
in less than an hour) has never worked with linear
and non-linear math programming, quadratic program-
ming, and optimization/predictive algorithms based
on chaos theory. Now THOSE are "non-simplistic"
maths. But *they* can't predict for shit, either,
even after millions of man-hours thrown into the
effort.

Astrology is just simple grade-school math combined
with a lot of subjective data-mining, with a lot of
wishful thinking thrown in. It only "works" in the
rear-view mirror, to "explain" to people *who already
believe in it* what already happened and try to fit
the randomly-shaped pegs of reality into the square
hole of their ideas about reality.

The "challenge" to astrology or Jyotish on this
forum is the same as it's ever been. Predict some-
thing. Something concrete, non-hazy, non-general,
and that can be easily verified. We'll wait.

Most believers in astrology here have never even
tried. The ones who did presented *laughably*
generalistic "predictions" that could be applied
to anyone. I seem to remember JohnR even once
"predicting" that "something bad is going to
happen to person X" or something like that. :-)

I restate my position -- the more time they've
invested in the belief system, the less able they
are to step back and challenge it, to see whether
it has any validity or not.