> Its just part of life for a lot of people here. My old
> man used to keep a loaded .357 Magnum on his bureau.
> We never shot nobody with it though.

It's an incredible blind spot for many people. Their
whole "American mythos" keeps them from noticing it
and how insane it is. Unless you live in "bear country"
(the only North American animal that would require a
.357 magnum to take it down), the *only* reason to
own a gun like that is to *kill people*.

I think I've mentioned here a friend from Santa Fe who
is a classic example of this "blind spot." In person
he's just the nicest guy in the world -- a talented
guitarist and folk singer, loving father and husband,
etc. He *does* have a tendency to get monotopical about
Libertarianism, which is why I have had to block his
posts on some forums we share. He was also a Divinity
student in his youth, and almost became a preacher.

But he owns over forty (40) guns. Some of them have
been converted to full auto. In fact, he has over half
of them wrapped in oilcloth and buried in a trunk some-
where secret, in preparation for the day when "The
guvmint will come to get my other guns." Go figure.