 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:48 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Trayvon Martin was a Homophobic bigot

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808"  wrote:

> Has *anyone* in America stopped to ponder whether the problem
> here is easy availability of guns rather than race or whatever problems?

And they actually *believe* that totin' a gun will make them safer.
The facts are somewhat different. The states with the highest gun
ownership have a gun murder rate 114% higher than those with
the lowest gun ownership. The number of mass shootings stopped
by gun-toting civilians in the last thirty years is ZERO. For every
time a gun is used in self-defense in the home, there are 7 assaults
or murders, 11 suicide attempts, and 4 accidents involving guns
in or around the home. 43% of homes with guns and kids leave
their guns unlocked, and in one experiment, 1/3 of 8-12-year-old
kids who found a handgun pulled the trigger.

In 2011, nearly 10 times more people were shot and killed in
 argu-
ments than by civilians trying to stop a crime. One study found
that the odds of an assault victim being shot were 4.5X greater
if he carried a gun, and his odds of being killed were 4.2X greater.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/pro-gun-myths-fact-check

The last time I was in America (back in Santa Fe to renew
documents), out of curiosity I dropped in to a local gun show.
I was offered handguns, rifles, shotguns, and in four cases
semi-automatic rifles that had been converted to full automatic
(e.g., machine guns) *over the counter*. I would have had to
show no ID, and no "background checks" would have been
performed. If I had bought them, I would have walked out of
the show fully equipped to become a mass murderer, requiring
only a short stop at Walmart to stock up on
 ammo first.

America is not only an insane asylum, its inmates are armed.