I know this make open the proverbial can of worms but I have-ta ask anyway. Is
it your assertion that Robin C. got into the place he got into internally and
externally because he stopped doing TM? And only for that reason?

________________________________
 From: sparaig <lengli...@cox.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 5, 2013 4:13 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Meditators

You've misunderstood things a great deal, I'm afraid.

TM allows the nervous system to rest, thereby repairing stress. Alternating TM
with regular activity starts to establish the general pattern associated with
pure consciousness as a trait outside of meditation. As this trait becomes
stronger, the meditator starts to note some degree of quiet watchfulness as a
background to all activity. As the trait becomes stronger still, this
background becomes noticeable at all times in all states of consciousness.

Because we naturally call our "self" that which is most constant in our
internal landscape, it is natural for a person who notes this quiet background
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to start to identify this constant, quiet,
non-judgemental, ever watchful background as their "real" self. Once this
occurs and becomes permanent, than one could claim they are in the beginning
stages of CC.

HOWEVER, just because they have some degree of pure consciousness as a
background at all times, doesn't mean that they are fully enlightened, CC-wise:

you can't be certain that the situation will persist indefinitely for example.
Also, there might be plenty of stresses left in the nervous system that
manifest as thoughts during meditation, so that you don't remain in pure
consciousness your entire meditation time.

Even if you DO remain in pure consciousness your entire meditation time, that
doesn't mean that this will happen EVERY time you meditate, and so, people
continue to meditate.

Now, with GC and UC, you need to have some detree of stabilization in CC before
you can truly talk about being in one of the higher states, but again, how
stable is stable? One could note PC at all times in activity and identify it as
one's true self and start to appreciate more and more subtle aspects of the
perceptual world even though CC isn't fully mature (since one can never be sure
that CC is fully mature, how could it be otherwise?).

Likewise, with UC, one could be established in some preliminary stable state of
GC, while still having plenty of growth left in CC AND GC. And of course,
growth in UC has no theoretical endpoint anyway.

This is where Robin Carlson messed up: he thought that he "had it all" because
he had a valid experience of UC, and, at least by what he has said, he stopped
doing TM.