--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > I know I'm rambling, but that was the nature of the evening
> > > and of the Great Conversation itself. No plan, no intent, no
> > > egos, no "I'm right and you're wrong," no barbs, no insults,
> > > no one trying to "lead" the conversation and take it in any
> > > particular direction. Just people who were comfortable with
> > > each other *being* comfortable with each other, and enjoying
> > > where *that* might lead the conversation. It made me a little
> > > nostalgic for those rare times when such conversations have
> > > broken out on Fairfield Life, and for the even rarer egolessness
> > > and sense of comfort that made them possible.
> > >
> > > I'm writing this in the hope that they're still possible, and
> > > that they might happen here again someday. If they can't, I
> > > honestly don't see much point in sticking around.
> >
> > I can't help observing that some of the very best
> > conversations *I* ever saw on FFL involved Robin,
> > whose posts Barry claimed he never read and whom
> > Barry persistently, viciously, and gratuitously
> > attacked (and still attacks even in his absence).
> >
> > And if I were asked what one thing would be most
> > likely to facilitate more and better conversation
> > on FFL, I'd have to say it would be Barry *not*
> > sticking around.
>
> That might be true but after reading his post this morning I
> became aware that it was good reading and interesting - a
> little slip of time in his life relayed for us to read that
> was mostly free of finger pointing, false assertions and ego.
> If he could stick with this tone I would much prefer to read
> his stuff. So, he is capable of writing without inciting
> backlash and justified reaction.

But is he capable of resisting using this kind of writing
as an inspiration for gratuitous attacks in the last couple
of paragraphs? He goes to all this trouble to create a
lovely atmosphere but then deliberately spoils it by using
it as a vehicle for insults.

> I'd just like to see it a bit (a lot) more often. The fact
> that it doesn't happen more is obviously a conscious choice
> Barry is making for whatever reason (I have my theories).
> But if he can keep this up then I look forward to his posts.

Yes, if he could stick to this kind of writing and omit the
nasty, ego-driven crap at the end, he'd be an asset to the
group.

His set pieces typically don't fuel all that much in the way
of *conversation* per se, but that's a minor disadvantage.
For that matter, maybe folks would be more comfortable using
such a piece as a springboard for actual conversation if he
left off the attacks. As it is, they just leave a bad taste
in the mouth, and you want to move on to something else.