Akasha:
> > yes. Reminds me of EST.

Judy:
> Even est had a method to sort of shock people into
> it.  The whole "training" was one big koan, it seems
> to me: the first weekend, they convinced you that you
> had total control over everything; the second weekend,
> they convinced you that you had no control over
> anything.  Actually they *demonstrated* both were the
> case, in turn.
>
> That quasi-experiential contradiction was enough,
> apparently, to push some folks into the "gap," to
> "get it."  And it seems that for at least a few,
> it stuck.
>
> At any rate, it wasn't a decision, really.  You
> were pretty much forced into it.  That makes some
> sense to me, but it wasn't universally effective.
> Some folks never "got it," and for others it made
> a big difference for a while but then faded.
>
> I did think the approach was ingenious.
>
> (Caveat: I never took the training, but I had several
> friends who did and talked to them about it a great
> deal, also read about it a lot.  The above is what
> it seemed to me to boil down to.  Graduates would
> probably rake me over the coals for thinking I had
> any idea of what was involved.)

Like you I never took it but talked to a number of people and friends
who did. My general point at the time was that "words" and mind games
might give some glimpse but is not permanent, not "deep". For that you
need to "refine the physiology".

Over the years, I am more open to lots of tools. I reacted against the
AoL "cheesy", "new age" exercises -- staring and all, initially. After
a while, I found most provided some benefit. All woven together, even
more. But used without some transcendental sadhana, they seem limited.
(Fortunately AoL has such.)