I used to call VW buses "bread boxes on wheels".  I winced everytime I
had to ride in one.  I had two friends who owned them.  I thought they
were about the most unsafe vehicle on the road given you only had a thin
wall of metal between you and an oncoming.  Those who survived owing had
sheer luck.  Of course I myself owned Ralph Nader's number one  unsafe
vehicles, a Corvair.  Although I only owned it for a few months when it
was stolen and totaled.

I didn't know that WV still made the bus but they are still being made
in Brazil until the end of December.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/vws-hippie-hauler-ending-its-long-strange-trip-4B11231364