--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long  wrote:

> Well, Judy I'm not young and I think I'm cute rather than
> beautiful. And I'm a pretty good swimmer. You remind me
> of the young monk who's still holding on to an event that's
> long passed. Flow on!

Since we segued into this stream of thought via the issue
of feminism, isn't it interesting to note the sexism in the
story? One of the guys looked at the person needing to
cross the river and saw only a person, with a need. He
stepped in and filled that need, and then wandered on,
the event forgotten. The other guy carried the girl for
quite a while (according to the original tale), and got
his monk's robes all in a twist because another monk
had touched a <spit> girl.

I ask you, which of these guys acted in a manner that
indicated more respect for women? The guy who believes
that -- being female -- she carries some kind of weird
monk cooties that will infect you and lure you off the
path, or the guy who just gave her a ride across the
river, and then left her on the other side?

On another level, it's an interesting tale to examine
from the point of view of another -ism. As has been
pointed out, the girl is young, and thus potentially
hot. What if she'd have been an old woman?

Would the second monk still have gotten his robes
in a twist? If not, why not?

Then again, if the person getting a piggyback ride
had been an old woman, this story would probably
never have been remarked on, and thus probably
never repeated enough times to become the spiritual
staple it has. It's the fact that it's a *young* woman
that drives the story. How ageist is that?

:-)