Re "the opposing forces, broadly defined as materialism":

 Yes, the obsession with money and the status it confers is the only value in
today's society - or certainly the value that now dominates in both the UK and
the USA. It's so bloody philistine and degrading and small-minded and has
triumphed over all the noble ideals that once motivated people.
 Now given a straight choice between having the latest model Aston Martin or
not having a car at all I would naturally choose to have the car. I'm not
denying that having an Aston Martin is a good thing. I'm aware that classy
luxury cars are beautiful possessions. But I can also see that other values are
more life-affirming: belonging to a supportive community where people respect
and value each other is just one example. And I'd happily forsake the car if I
could live in such a supportive society. But the obsession with material
possessions and personal status has eroded all competing values until we can
now all see we are living in a spiritual wasteland where greed is the norm.
 But "materialism" can also refer to a reductive philosophy that explains life
strictly in scientific and technological terms and has no time for the inner
life or spiritual discipline. It's surely no coincidence that both types of
materialism are flourishing in tandem.
 Current trends will result in such wide divisions between the haves and
have-nots - compounded by the insufferable arrogance of the rich - that I fear
serious unrest and violence is inevitable. I can't decide whether serious
unrest and violence is precisely what we need to break out of the trap or
whether, on the contrary, we need a spiritual revival from the roots. I suspect
that both types of upheaval also arise in tandem.