--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, doctordumbass@...  wrote:

> I think absent any social codes, the difference in sexual promiscuity
between males and females comes down to consequences. Prior to birth
control, if a female had sex with a male, she could be literally
burdened with offspring. Not so for the male. Add in the greater
physical strength of the male, and you have all the seeds for the
difference in attitudes.
> "The Pill" greatly eliminated the risk factor of pregnancy, for women,
and certainly in the West, physical strength is no longer a guarantee of
greater economic power. So attitudes are changing too. Regarding the
60's, I saw a lot of sexual expression, but also a lot of conventional
sex roles between men and women, simply dressed up in strange clothing
and fashion.

I'm sure I've commented on this rap before, but given the insight that
the rapper had, it's worth doing again. I once saw a lecture given by
one of my favorite authors in the field of science fiction and fantasy,
Ursula K. Le Guin. Ursula -- in person -- is a tour de force. She's
wonderful! In terms of her background, there are reasons why. She was
raised in a household that included a father and mother who were pretty
much the gods of the world of academic anthropology and sociology. She
seemed to have picked up a great deal of insight into the human
condition as the result of that upbringing, because her fiction works
are among the most insightful I've ever encountere w.r.t. the human
condition.

Anyway, in this lecture, Ursula mentioned a few facts that have never
since left my mind. She spoke of the "sexual revolution" in terms of how
*short* it was. According to her, what we know of about that period was
a short period of time between the invention of penicillin and the birth
control pill and the appearance of a nasty virus called HLV. That was
*IT*, according to this strong feminist-before-they-were-called-that.

Before the invention of the Pill and penicillin, according to Ursula,
sex had *at every point in human history* been a potentially fatal
experience. A *huge* number of women died in childbirth, and a sizable
number of other people died of STDs, some of which (like syphillis) are
fatal. Then came penicillin, the first effective treatment for
syphillis. And shortly thereafter came the Pill, and that was All She
Wrote for many of the "rules and regs" of sexual behavior. Suddenly
there were no more potentially fatal "down sides" to gettin' it on, and
so people Got It On. The world changed.

But then AIDS came along. And suddenly the old fears came with them. And
the world changed again, but this time in a more restrictive, more
fearful direction.