FWIW, I believe that MMY was once asked what happened if a crook became enlightened and he responded they would become an enlightened crook. My tantra guru samskaras don't necessarily all burn away with enlightenment. That's the deeper meaning of "chopping wood and carrying water."

When I was around MMY he did indeed illicit a great amount of shakti and I could easily see the celestial glow around. He would have been a pretty lousy monk to not have achieved some enlightenment during his years at the math. I also muse at the stories even heard personally from Charlie Lutes about MMY's used of stambhan (actually not very hard to do).

The real mistake was the profiteering of TM which Charlie expressed concerns about at our teacher's meetings with him.