--- authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, akasha_108
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > As a kid, maybe starting at 8 or 10, I had a
> repeated "inquiry" -- I
> > was a curious sort of kid (as in inquisitive and
> odd). I kept
> > looking at the sky and visualizing another kid my
> age -- in Japan
> > actually -- though I had not much connection
> there. I think it was
> > my idea of "as different and foreign as could be
> (this was around
> > 1960).
> >
> > And I kept asking myself, what makes me different
> from him. It was
> > clear that there were surface differences -- that
> was the point in
> > choosing someone in a vastly different culture.
> But I was after the
> > question of identity: what is it that makes me
> "me" different from
> > what makes him "him".
>
> I remember something similar to this, although much
> less elaborate.  I was a few years younger, I think.
> It suddenly occurred to me that other people must
> have
> a "me" inside them just as I did.  It felt very
> counterintuitive to think my consciousness was not
> the
> only consciousness, but it had to be the case
> because
> other people clearly behaved as though they had
> their
> own.  With considerable reluctance, I accepted that
> this was just the way it was, and it became part of
> my outlook.
>
> I also remember, roughly around the same time,
> wondering
> what it would be like if I could stop thinking.  I
> tried
> and tried but couldn't do it.  Essentially, I
> realized
> that trying not to think was itself a thought,
> although
> I didn't phrase it that way to myself.  And I gave
> up,
> figuring that was just the way it was.
>
> My memories of these two occasions remained very
> clear,
> though, and they came to mind immediately when I
> began
> to learn something about TM.  It was a source of
> some
> satisfaction to know my intuitions as a child had
> been
> on the money, if a bit frustrating that I hadn't
> been
> willing to trust them.
>
> I suspect most kids have these moments.  If we could
> only get to them and confirm their insights before
> they give up and accept the Standard Model, maybe
> they'd be able to grow up enlightened.

When I was around 9 or 10 my best friend and I used to
play this game. We would sit quietly and begin to
negate our experience piece by piece. We'd alternate
saying things like, "The tree in the front yard
doesn't exist. Your parents car doesn't exist. School
doesn't exist., etc." We'd slowly negate everything we
could think of. Finally we'd come to the end after
negating the entire creation and we'd negate ourselves
simultaneously. I remember there would be this
"explosion" of energy and we'd both freakout and run
outside screaming in delight.

http://mail.yahoo.com