I must admit that it [Rendlesham...see photo at bottom] looks kinda ghastly.
All that symmetry and "sameness" feels oppressive to me, as if the whole thing
is inside some kind of lifeless Truman dome created by an autistic,
obessive-compulsive designer/architect.

In a city, I tend to prefer...uh...non-sameness and asymmetry. That's one
reason I like Leiden. The older areas in which I live are all...uh...older, and
so the blocks may consist of row houses, but each one was originally built by
an individual family (not to mention families *of* individuals), and so the
blocks have a charm that you rarely see in any of these Vastu Woo Woo Lego
neighborhoods. For example:

The Dutch seem to share my tastes, because even in modern "designer" cities
like the one I lived in when I first moved to the Netherlands (95% of it built
since 1980), the new row houses preserve this idea of individuality. No two
adjacent houses/apartment buildings in the same complex look the same.

The silly Vastu Woo Woo stuff notwithstanding, I simply cannot conceive of how
people could consider living in "little boxes, all made out of ticky-tacky, and
they all look just the same" to really be *living*. Here's a very creative
cover of Malvina Reynold's old folk song on the subject by the talented group
Walk off the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8JhvfoqdA