 Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: Funny article from the Guardian Newspaper about TM
 To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
 Date: Monday, March 3, 2014, 4:37 PM

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...>
 wrote:

 One comment I appreciate is this one from
 Denis Postle:"I've been
 doing TM off and on for decades. A key thing to appreciate
 about it is that it is a reliable way of taking us to the
 hypnogogic and hypnopompic junctions between sleep and awake
 and keeping us hovering there. With very tangible results .
 . . "
 David Lynch says something
 similar in his book Catching the Big Fish. To those
 who wonder what "transcending" is like, Lynch says
 that everyone has already experienced it. When you're
 lying in bed at night waiting for sleep to come you
 occasionally have a sudden sinking feeling as your awareness
 dips towards unconsciousness. It feels rather disconcerting
 and actually jolts you awake. Lynch claims that TM is
 essentially training you to bounce around at that level as a
 regular routine.
 Ramana Maharshi recommended his followers
 to try a similar practice: when waking up in the morning
 keep your consciousness at the point where you've just
 emerged from sleep into conscious awareness but *before* any
 thinking kicks in. Maharshi claimed that learning to balance
 yourself at this razor's edge would enable you to see
 the true nature of the Self.
 Anyone want to claim Denis, Lynch
 and Maharshi are talking nonsense?
 Funny you
 should ask that because while reading their assertion it
 simply did not resonate with my experience. The transition
 between waking and sleeping is not transcendence in my book.
 It is full of thoughts and awareness that do not feel
 transcendental at all. But I have zero other evidence than
 my subjectivity and gut feeling to back this
 up.