In terms of our own natural history and sciences, very fortunately we don't got
scorpions by nature in Iowa. Just the ones that get imported here. And, they
don't thrive here at all in our climate,
 -Buck

 salyavin808 writes:
 Scorpion Nation? Ah, that takes me back. 2005 it was, the TMO in the UK had
always been strong, and generous, we had three large academies, a purpose built
town and a network of lively centres. Marshy's favourite group of devotees,
always willing to cough up for yagyas and any other project that came along.
Quite the role model for a perfect society you'd think.

 I was living in a TM centre at the time, not as a devotee, I just needed
somewhere to live. They had closed all the academies to pay for the pundit
project and encourage us to build vastu ones. Even the one I lived in which was
pretty annoying but there you are. But I wasn't a believer at that point, not
by a long stretch. I'd seen enough fraud and flakery and was there strictly as
a "take what you need and leave the rest" type. And even that was wearing thin,
I was having to avoid all broadcasts on the Marshy channel because they made my
skin crawl, except for the weekly press conference. Wish I'd taped some of
that, that would be youtube gold. Especially the one where Marshy said that the
reason the US hadn't caught Bin Laden was because of our coherence creating and
laughed! A surreal and disturbing moment and Hagelin tried to deny he'd meant
that but the journalist wasn't convinced, me neither.

 Anyway, after the Iraq invasion Marshy decided that was the last straw and
called the office at Skem to tell the assembled governors that he was closing
the movement in the UK as our national consciousness was too poisonous to
deserve what he was offering. Amid all the wailing, tears and protests Marshy
asked if there was any good reason why he shouldn't. Wish I'd been there to
answer that, first there is the obvious illogic of the "feeding nectar to the
scorpion" if the ME worked then we need more TM not less. If it doesn't work we
might as well carry on regardless. The idea that there is a critical mass
whereby the ME is bad until the threshold is passed and then it becomes good is
another layer of madness on top of all the others. It did him no favours.

 Then there's the political argument. No one liked Tony Blair, he just wasn't
as bad as the opposition. That's how democracy works, it's a crap system of
government but better than the alternative. Nobody prioritised war when they
voted as every party was in favour anyway. Most of the western world went along
with the idea that it would be quick and painless and we'd be rid of a vile
dictator and be able to control the oil supply much easier.

 I don't know what the real reason was, maybe Marshy actually believed his
delusions about the world, maybe he felt he had to act like it was all real
regardless of whether it made sense or not. Maybe he was just nuts at that
point, but he'd done it before with Denmark (?) for something to do with the
national leader saying the wrong thing, can't remember what happened but it was
well trivial. The whole concept is petty and spiteful and really upset a lot of
friends of mine who sincerely believe all this stuff. It seemed like a sort of
megalomania but he gave everyone the idea he was doing it for their own good.
Narcissism? Paranoia? They say he tripled the price because a group of teachers
from the UK asked him to lower it.

 Anyway, I laughed when I heard about Scorpion land. It was the icing on the
cake really. I went off Marshy very early on, I didn't believe a word of the
vedic "science" I thought Tony Nader and John Hagelin were either insane or
lying. I couldn't watch 10 minutes of the channel without shuddering in terror.
Then I heard about the Kaplan letter and joined FFL so I could read it in the
files section. And then I thought I'd make just one post....

 mjackson74 asks:

 Sal, having been highly entertained by some references you have made regarding
the "scorpion nation" deal, I wanted to ask if you remember where you were and
what your reaction was upon hearing of the [Maharishiji's] condemnation of your
country? Just curious.