From: "anartax...@yahoo.com" <anartax...@yahoo.com>

To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:32 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Studying the numinous

This reply is specifically for Judy, not Turq or Salyavin. Alas she cannot
honestly reply, as it would break her word. That is not saying she is
dishonest, please note. We all have honesty glitches, part of the human
condition.
This reply is also specifically for Anartaxius, and is *not* to be used as a
springboard for Judy Stein to use it as an opportunity to reply to him while
still pretending to keep her word about never replying to Anartaxius until he
apologizes for some imagined past affront. :-)

That said -- and directed solely to Anartaxius -- well said. It's nice to see
that *someone* here can actually express their thoughts about theism and
post-theism, and in their own words. without relying on the Cliff Notes version
of thinkers they probably have never even read.

I agree with many of his words, and don't have much to say about the few I
disagree with, for the simple reason that Anartaxius merely states what he
believes, as opposed to trying to make other people believe it. That's the crux
of the issue IMO. I have many close friends who are believers in God. My
favorite singer-songwriter Bruce Cockburn is a strong believer in God. I love
him because we share a love of Wonder, even though we express it in different
ways. Me, I don't believe in any real concept of God. If I did, I would have to
consider Him/Her/It a psychopathic thug. But I get along with my believer
friends, and we have wonderful times and conversations together because no one
is trying to *sell* anything to anyone else.

It isn't what one believes. *Whatever* one believes is OK in my book, as long
as they don't try to sell it to me or try to force me into arguing about it
when I don't feel in the least like arguing, especially about something as
meaningless as beliefs. The minute someone *does* attempt to force that, they
have IMO crossed a line, and have become nothing more than a potential subject
of laughter and ridicule.

My friends never cross that line; that is why they remain my friends, and
admirable. Those who cross that line will never earn anything but my derision
and my laughter, in this lifetime or any other.

Generally I am not interested in Theism. I'm a post-Theist, the theist part
being early childhood conditioning, which fortunately was neither intense nor
carried out with any verve, thus my mind escaped.

I do not care for the word God, primarily because it has so many variable and
cultural connotations, which make it 'slippery' as vehicle for explanation.

If one thinks dualistically about reality, then there is always more than one
being, for example, me and the world, or me and God. As long as there is any
sense of separation, then being is divided. Those whose consciousness is
embodied cannot think any other way. The theistic argument that God is not a
being but just being I do not have an argument with. I think currently that
being = consciousness = God, the latter in that most abstract sense. But most
people do not use the word that way. When God is being in this way, you are the
same, as Jesus said 'not made out of flesh and blood but out of God'. But most
people are not going to get that idea of being if you use the word God because
it will pull in all sorts of cultural and individualised conditioning which in
the mind creates 'a being', not abstract non-thing being.

The so-called spiritual path is basically just the process of retraining the
mind and larger experience to de-localise and de-centralise the appreciation of
consciousness. Consciousness makes experience possible, you never experience
consciousness, it is what makes experience possible, it is what experiences. In
older language it is 'the light of life' which is saying the same thing
isomorphically transformed. Consciousness unlocalised and decentred is equally
everywhere, the very things of experience. It is equally at every point along
the data path of perception, it makes the data points 'visible'. You do not
look for it in the human head. What you find there are sensors and an
interpretive processor, the mind. Consciousness makes the sensors and the
interpretive processing experience-able. All you will find in the head is
machinery. You do not have consciousness, it has 'you', what you think you are.

Being is eternal but not in the sense of time. Everything has being like this,
the most obvious thing in the world, everything is this being. It is trivial
and so in one's face it is never seen or understood. As Vashitha said, all this
talk about creation and who created the world is for the purpose of writing and
expounding scriptures, but it is not true. But the human mind, thinking, works
sequentially, and so it sees things as a process with beginnings, middles, and
endings. The Big Bang Theory is an example of this, and that is a great
practical way to look at the universe, but if you want fulfilment there has to
be the experience of everything, mind, body, environment, as all the same
being, everything collectively together, the 'uncarved block' as the Taoists
say. Unity. Not you in unity, just unity. No 'you' is required. Delocalisatin
and decentralisation of consciousness transforms the appreciation of the
concept of 'self', and it does not matter
 if you capitalise 'self' or not. It is just a story, a narrative with the tag
'self' attached to it. You do not have a relationship with being, for it is
just what you are, once the 'you' gets dropped off the map as a convenient
fiction.

To find out if this is real or not, there is no evidence except the experience.
There is no proof, no argument can show this. When people talk about it in one
way or another, if what they say has a resonance with you, then it sets up a
spark inside, and then the search to find out if that particular manner of
expression is somehow real begins. No guarantee of success. If it does not
resonate, it will appear as total nonsense, because it is not like something,
not like anything, so an argument will never convince.

Yet another atheist wannabe who simply cannot lower himself to reading enough
philosophy to realize the incoherence of one of his fundamental premises, or
that the purported evidentiary problems of theism as confronted by science that
he blabs on about so pompously are in fact nonexistent.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

Hell if I know what a divinity is. I just copied the definition of 'numinous'
from the Google search results for 'define:numinous'. I was discussing the
nature of informed belief, that is belief based on evidence rather than simply
an idea one has in the mind. I was not discussing anything about atheism.
Without evidence, there is no case to be made, so arguments for and against are
empty. One can argue that Sherlock Holmes smoked a Meerschaum pipe, but the
evidence in the illustrations of the stories as originally published indicate
he did not, but Sherlock Holmes never existed in reality as a real person, so
what one is really arguing about here is not about Sherlock Holmes and his
pipe, but the content of the text and illustrations in the stories about a
fictional character called 'Sherlock Holmes'. So the argument concerning Mr
Holmes is not about a reality but an illusion purporting to be a reality, the
actual reality in this case being printed text
 and illustrations in The Strand Magazine (1891–1950, United Kingdom).

The definition of 'divinity' (noun) from the same Google source is 'the state
or quality of being divine', and 'a divinity' would then be 'something that has
the state or quality of being divine', which seems to imply there could be more
than one something that has those characteristics. A saint might be considered
divine. Zeus could be considered divine and therefore a divinity. So could
Apollo, or Jehovah. Maybe I could be divine. Maybe you could be divine, though
there seems to be a preponderance of opinion here that would not likely be the
case. It is not incoherent to say 'I just believe in one less divinity than you
do'. That is just a statement, a proposition. Some people believe in many
divinities, some in just one, some in none. A proposition by itself is not an
argument, just a statement that may or may not have truth value, which cannot
be affirmed or denied on the basis of the proposition itself. Coherence depends
on how a particular
 proposition aligns logically with other propositions, and aligns with what the
proposition(s) point to, if in fact they point to something outside themselves,
for if they do not, it is an empty argument, much ado about nothing.

In mentioning enlightenment, that particular discipline investigates
subjectively the nature of sensory experience and its relationship to thought,
and the interpretation by thought of the nature of experience, whether in fact
thought can represent 'truth' or is simply a distortion of 'truth', or even
whether there really is anything or state that could be thought of as 'truth',
that is, whether the word 'truth' has any meaningful correlate that is real.

A friend of mine was recently sued for delinquent payment of rent. This was not
true, as my friend brought evidence of the fact to court, but the person
bringing the suit came to court without any evidence whatsoever, but managed to
convince the court — the judge and the person suing being white and my friend,
black, to a 90 day stay, so that evidence could be brought — the argument: 'I
did not think (the defendant) would show up'. The case was thrown out by a
higher judge on the basis that no evidence was brought, and the lower judge
showed prejudice in not dismissing the case.

This is the situation between non-believers and believers of the religious
kind, there are arguments but evidence is unconvincing or absent in spite of
the sophistication of the pleading or polemic of the claims being made.

Science takes a practical tack in such instances, no evidence, no case. This
gets rid of the nutters, so one can focus on actual stuff, but occasionally
there are examples of the baby being thrown out with the bath water, but in
time the mistake may be rectified.

'Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.' — source unknown

Exactly what is "a divinity"?

This is where atheists, especially those with pretensions to scientific
understanding but who are deficient in philosophy, tend to get all tangled up
and become incoherent, saying things like "I just believe in one less divinity
than you do."

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <anartaxius@...> wrote :

nu·mi·nous
    = having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting
the presence of a divinity.
Exactly what is a strong religious quality? Exactly what is a spiritual
quality? How do these two qualities indicate or suggest the presence of a
divinity? If something is indicated or suggested, is that any reason to assume
that something is actually there if it has not been directly seen, directly
experienced.

All that has to be done is demonstrate, unequivocally, what it is that one
wants others to see, then you have a reason to define and investigate what that
is. It is not necessary to investigate or define what does not exist, since one
will never come across a concrete demonstration. One can imagine all sorts of
things mentally, but never be able to show that those things exist, and as
such, all such ideas are equivalent in that there is no proof, and no
possibility of proof that such things have an existence independent of thought.
There is reason to believe that what we call an elephant exists, even if we do
not know what it is or have a name for it, it can be experienced through the
senses, at some point it can be defined, observed, argued about.

There is a problem when the subject matter at hand is empty, but is presumed to
be real, such as invisible formless gods, or enlightenment. With gods, we have
to presume they exist, and are somehow different from us. With enlightenment,
there is the problem that it really does not exist, but we think it does. In
this case the spiritual path shows us that the idea of enlightenment was an
illusion, that what we were seeking was in fact just what we always were, not
some new thing we have never experienced before. But it cannot be proved by
argument, one just has to be crazy enough to attempt to resolve the issue. In
the rarefied atmosphere of abstract theology, if we think that union with the
god of one's imagination is the equivalent of enlightenment, then I suspect
there will be a real disappointment because at the end of the road, the thing
you have to give up is your idea of what that god is.