--- off_world_beings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

snip

> The research
> grant system
> ensures that a researcher is under pressure to prove
> their pet
> theory.

Another way of saying this is that the researcher is
attempting to disprove the null hypothesis (i.e., that
the event is not statistically possible). So there is
an implicit bias in the very structure of statistical
research. But how could you get around this?

> <<<When professors at the
> >  U of Iowa attempted to do, MUM refused to
> cooperate with them.>>>
>
> When was this? Where did you hear this?

I forgot his name, he's a sociologist at the U of I.
It is common scientific practice to allow your raw
statistical data to be examined by other researchers.
MIU/MUM would not allow this because, I suspect, that
their number crunching was a little outside of normal
limits and the data could be shown to confirm the null
hypothesis with more conservative statistical
analysis. This would mean that the ME, as an
alternative explanatory hypothesis, was, at best, very
weak, or, at worst, no explanation at all. Considering
the radical paradigm shift of the ME, the statistical
research used to support this alternative hypothesis
was very weak.

http://farechase.yahoo.com