 On 05/24/2014 06:41 PM, awoelflebater@... mailto:awoelflebater@...
[FairfieldLife] wrote:

<steve.sundur@...> mailto:steve.sundur@... wrote :

 Michael,

 You just miss the point.  I am no great TM defender.  But you start with a
misguided notion of what the practice of TM is capable of doing.  And on that
basis you make connections about what problems can be attributed to the
practice of TM.

 There are many things I think are out of whack in regards the TMO culture, but
I know, from experience, with my own 21 year old son, that this is a difficult
period of ones life to navigate, with or without the practice of TM.

 And from my own difficult adolescence, the most the practice of TM was able to
do for me was give me a few minutes of respite each day.

 I would wager, (or at least hope), that any parent within the TMO culture who
felt they had a child at risk would take any necessary steps to address that
risk.

 I knew the parents, or at least the father of the boy who committed suicide a
few years ago, Daniel S. He did not live in any kind of fantasy world about TM.

 You make this silly statement that if my beliefs are so strong, I should
consider working full time for the movement.  To me that points out a blind
spot in that you seem to have taken every claim made about TM at face value,
never figuring in a discount that most people would naturally take.

 And when it fell short, you developed a vendetta.

 This has been my point all along. I don't think it is about taking the TM
promises so literally - it is all so literal how MJ is 'reading' these claims
and then presenting them as proof that TM doesn't work. It's almost as if he
believes that those who practice TM are incapable of making a mistake or being
sad or getting divorced. Come on. Get a grip. No one believes that just by
learning a meditation technique that you are going to become super-human,
infallible and perfect. And no one is buying the fact that because a meditator
has decided to end their life that it completely invalidates the entire TM
practice and condemns the Movement as being one big fraud. The world is never
so black and white.

 But that was the promise, do you remember the Science of Being book?
Apparently TM is better than psychiatry because it solves problems on the level
of the all powerful unified field and not on the level of thoughts and emotions
- which are obviously shallow in comparison. This is standard SCI thinking and
TM teachers to this day will parrot it, championing TM over regular therapies.

 I think the trouble starts when people take Marshy and the TMO at their word
and ignore their own emotions, it's easy to backtrack after a disaster and
claim that it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously but people do. As we all
know, it isn't better than other therapies so they should scrap the superiority
complex and stop all this "invincibility" nonsense.

 MJ isn't reading these claims anymore than I was when I pointed out that
someone going postal with an AK47 during a World Peace Assembly doesn't skew
the results, it is the results.

 The drug doesn't work so they should change the marketing strategy to
something a bit more realistic. It's not unreasonable to say it.

 Samskaras still will be there and play out even in enlightenment.  Otherwise
enlightened people would just be a blob doing nothing.  Maharishi made a
mistake giving the impression that enlightened people would be perfect when
Indian philosophy says otherwise.  Enlightened people just experience things
from a different perspective. And just what is that supposed to mean? Is god
still moving in mysterious ways? Your trouble is you want to have it all ways,
he's the best teacher ever when he's right but when he's wrong it's because he
has a different perspective? This is cognitive dissonance in all its
unfortunate and glory.

 Exactly.

  • [FairfieldLife]... awoelfleba...@yahoo.com [FairfieldLife]
          • ... salyavin808